Sugar Maple Chunks

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I recently aquired some Canadian Sugar Maple chunks from a friend of mine. Has anyone ever used these or any kind of Maple chunks for smoking before? How strong of a smoke flavor does it impart? Should I use more or less than fruit wood? I have only used fruit woods and hickory in the past. Thanks for all the help in the past.

Gerry D.

I have used maple. It is nice mellow not real smoky. I love it on ribs. A piece or 2 of hickory/pecan/oak and several more pieces of maple make some good ribs.

A couple of years ago I got some green sugar maple and used it well before drying out. It was killing me to try it.
icon_wink.gif
I had about 3 pieces on the fire. The ribs tasted like they had maple syrup poured over them.

Maple wood is an excellent smoke wood. It's fairly mild about like the fruit woods, strength wise. Works well on everything.
icon_wink.gif

I got turned on to sugar maple at SmokeStock several years ago and it's awesome! I use apple, cherry and hickory for certain applications but when I'm smokin' butt, it's almost always sugar maple. You'll like it!
icon_wink.gif

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:
I'm not quite sure of this but I think that it's sugar maple that makes Jack Daniels what it is! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Close, Jack is aged in new, charred white oak barrels and filter through charcoal made from sugar maple. The JD pellets are made from the charcoal.

I find sugar maple to be good with pork (for a butt I mix it with hickory and apple) and turkey.

Thanks for all the info. I was planning on using it along with some apple to smoke a turkey. I didn't imagine that it would be bad, but now I know it will turn out great.

I just cut down some sugar maple trees in my yard and were waiting for them to dry out. Based on some of the replies though sounds like they might make it into the smoker this weekend with some ribs even though they are far from dried.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back