Sugar in rubs

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
I have read several posts about sugar in rubs. While there are a lot of people who like and put sugar in their rubs, I have also read where some people do not like sugar in rubs at all. One of the main complaints I have read is that it burns when you are cooking. Sugar will burn at 220 degrees, so if you are cooking with a sugar rub and keep the temp under 220 this shouldn’t be an issue. So what am I missing? Are there other pros and cons to putting sugar in a rub that I am missing? Does a non-sugar rub just taste better? I guess I am just confused since I am a sugar rub user. Please educate me!

Sugar does not burn at 220. Depending on the sugar used you need temps above 335-350 for that. It does cook however and, as moisture is lost, it caramelizes.

Pros and cons are mostly personal preference if you are cooking low and slow. If you are grill-roasting at higher temps then the con is definitely the possibility of burning.

Imo, too much sugar in a rub muddies the flavors of the other ingredients but I like some sugar in rubs--it promotes bark development as it cooks, and adds a bit of sweetness back to the other rub ingredients (particularly onion, garlic, and capsicums like paprika and pure chile powders) that was 'lost' during drying. Sugar is also used to balance the salt component.

I make several rubs without sugar. Try making a few yourself and see what you think.

I understand that Turbinado sugar is supposed to be better with heat.

I had some good luck with Dizzy Dust Rub which the label say Turbinado sugar.

There are some foods that I like to Q without any rub though.

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

Turbinado sugar is unprocessed sugar. You can buy it in the supermarket as "Sugar in the Raw". And yes, it does stand up better to heat than regular table sugar. I personally prefer the use of brown sugar as a sweetner for my rubs. Just be careful with the amount of sugar you use. It's a delicate balancing act to get it just right.

Back