suckling pig costs

Dan Huffman

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

I know it's a commodity and the price fluctuates, but how much does a suckling pig cost, usually? I'm wanting to make lechon asado and would really like to do a whole pig. I'm needing a cuban food fix, and STAT!!

Thanks in advance for any and all help offered. You guys are awesome!!

--

If you search on the net, there are several websites that sell them. And, since you're illinois, I would venture that you would probably have no problem just buying one from a farm?

I wanted to do one so bad for a relative's bday recently...but everyone thought it would scare/scar the kids. Sheesh.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Sheesh is right! I'd've done it anyway. ("You want to infantilize your kids go right ahead but don't expect me to.")

Dan-- For production pork I expect to pay $2.75-$3.25/lb. For (to me, the far, far more preferable) heritage breed pastured pork about $7-$9/lb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
If you search on the net, there are several websites that sell them. And, since you're illinois, I would venture that you would probably have no problem just buying one from a farm? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy Phil, what are you trying to say about Illinois??
icon_biggrin.gif

I never thought about that, but since there is a ready supply of farms around my area, maybe I'll check that out. I'd better hurry before they all get swallowed up in suburbia. YIKES!!!

--

Dan,

I have family in S. Illinois (you've probably never heard of the town...Greenfield). We "vacationed" there every summer when I was a kid...and it seemed like everyone there had a few hogs. For family reunions, I remember my uncle buying a hog from the neighbor and roasting it whole in a rotis. It really was a pig pickin'!

Seriously, no offense meant. I'm from the central valley of CA...i'm not one of "those" Californians.
icon_smile.gif

Phil, no harm no foul. I was just teasing you about the Il comment. I thought it was funny, actually!
icon_smile.gif

Funny, I have family all over the bay area. Lived there for a while, myself. My dad was born and raised in SF. I have relatives in San Jose, San Bruno, Galt, Stockton, Sonoma... you name it. I gotta say, I'm jealous of you! Which part are you in? I see you're in NorCal.

Never did hear of Greenfield, but I need to look it up. I live just across the river from St. Louis, but it's still relatively quiet over here. Then again, everything that isn't in Chicago is considered Southern Illinois. hehehe!!

Thanks again for your help. I would've never thought to call a pig farmer. I'm going to get on that ASAP.

--

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Huffman:
I live just across the river from St. Louis, but it's still relatively quiet over here.
-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't be Alton by chance? I remember driving through Alton on the way to my Uncle's house after flying into St. Louis.

Probably one of my favorite memories from childhood? My dad stopping at the fireworks stands along the Missouri/Illinois border on our way out of MO to Greenfield. OMG it was like heaven to me.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back