Success with Flat Cut Brisket

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

On Saturday I smoked a flat cut brisket using the award winning recipe from Mike Scrutchfield that Chris has posted in the cooking section.

Even though the recipe called for a packer style brisket, we are a flat-cut family so I decided to give it a shot. The flats tend to be leaner and certainly have less fat to start with.

I bought a choice grade brisket at Sam's. It was 5.5 lbs at $2.58 lb. It had a nice fat cap which I decided to leave intact.

It reached 170 after about 9.5 hours on the WSM and after that I wrapped it foil and it went into a 300 degree oven, according to the recipe. It reached 205 plus about 1.5 hours later, but I left it a little longer. Total cook time was 11 1/2 hours.

The result was just delicious. The exterior crust was a dark, dark brown and even the innermost slices were very tender with incredible flavor. The slices were tender, but I have to emphasize cutting against the grain. I misjudged my first 3-4 slices and cut with the grain which was a huge mistake.

I have been making flat cut brsikets on my Weber kettle for 20 years so I know a thing or two about them. But this was one of the best tasting briskets I have ever made, due to the smoke and the rub, both of which were new to me. Also, I was impressed at how much fat was rendered in the process. There was just a little fat left, 1/8 inch or so.

Thanks to many of you who have written about flat cut brisket success and failures. Even though I followed a recipe, the input on this forum turned out to be important during the cook. If you haven't done so yet, I would encourage you to try a flat, you'll be glad you did.

Peter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter R.:
[qb]I misjudged my first 3-4 slices and cut with the grain which was a huge mistake. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I also like the choice flats from Sam's, whether it's just for brisket, or for pastrami. To help with the grain issue, I score the fat cap in the direction of the grain before I cook it-- it helps me keep things straight after turning, flipping.

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about smoking a flat since the packer are a little harder to get in Alabama than when we lived in Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back