Sub-zero brisket cook

John VB

Going to try a brisket for the race on Sunday...looks like my entire cook time will be at the 0 degree or lower mark. I have a homemade jacket, anyone else have any thoughts on this? I think it will be pretty do-able, I've done a few in the 20-30 degree range before, but nothing this cold....

you'll be fine - especially if you have a jacket of some sort. Presuming you'd be starting using the minion method, just start with 50% more lit briquettes than you would otherwise. Also, keep the vents all the way open until about 200-215 degrees, then start to lower a bit at a time. I find temperatures are much more responsive to closing down a vent when it is that cold. So don't do it too early.

Also, just be prepared to add some more charcoal at some point. you may not need it, depending on how long the brisket takes and how well insulated your smoker jacket is, but just be prepared, since it takes more fuel to maintain 225 in extreme cold weather.

Good luck!

John,

I like the way you think...I am going to do some smoking to kick off the NASCAR season too. Like you, I cook in very cold temps all winter. Not sure what kind of jacket you have, I have a water heater blanket that I bought at home depot for 16 bucks and it is amazing, I very highly recommend it! I have found that once I fire up the smoker (use a little more lit charcoal and the minion method) and throw my food on, the insulation from the blanket makes the temp rise steadily and quickly so watch it closely and be ready to close the vents down. Once at temp, as long as the blanket satys on, you will be amazed how stable the temps stay and how little fuel you burn through. With the blanket on, the cold temps wont make a bit of difference, just keep it out of the wind. happy smoking and enjoy the race!

Smoke on

hunter

John

As long as it's not windy you'll do fine. I smoke all winter without a blanket and have no problem. You'll want to heap the ring and do the Minion start with about twice the normal amount.

Griff

Once again, I had more trouble keeping temps down rather than up - those hot water heater blankets work a little too well. Even with an outside temp of -5, I had to "loosen up" the jacket, otherwise the smoker wanted to hang out at about 255-260 degrees (Minion method, 30 lit coals to start, full Brinkman pan).

Brisket turned out very good though!

Back