Stupid butt rub question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Got a picnic at the store today. 1 large side exposed meat, 1 small, the rest skin. When you rub your butt do you apply to the exposed portion or the whole thing, skin and all?
Also, it's a 5 lbr and should take 7-1/2 hrs. How do you folks do one overnite in the 10+ hr range without it turning into carbon?
thx in advance, bob

Start with a large butt I've always cooked skinned. I cover the white fat and the flesh with lots of Rub. Smoke low and slow 225-275 until the meat is tender. After 3 to 5 hours you can foil to speed things up. It may look black and taste like heaven.

If you are getting Carbon you have direct radiation, too high a temp or are way over cooking.

HTH,

Thanks Konrad, sorry I missed you at the market. I'm going to take the skin off now. I've only done a butt with the skin intact. Aaahhh, a new adventure. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I must agree with you, experiment. Thanks for the tip.
bob

I can only speak from the one's I have done. I did 2 6-7 lbs butts, followed mr brown mostly. Took 12 1/2 hours to get to internal temp to 190. Removed and wraped for 1 hr in foil before pulling. Was wonderful, far from carbon. Are you going slow and low? Water in pan? Sounds like temp too high.

Konrad, Steve and any others.
I've never done an overnigter and have never carbonized anything I've cooked on the WSM. I guess my question was misunderstood. My thought was that if it took 7-8 hrs to cook a butt, would'nt 12-14 with the Minion method result in an overcooked product?
Sorry for the misleading question /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

If it takes 7-8 hours at, I am assuming 225-250*, to reach the target internal temperature of a particular pork butt, using the MM should not make it take 12-14 hours.

Ok, call me..... inexperienced or whatever you want. Seems to me...
If you're doing the night thing and put it on at 10:00 PM and take it off at 10:00 AM, that's 12 hrs. 12 hrs for something that should cook in 8. 4 extra hrs.
Am I an idiot or am I missing something?
I did'nt think the question was that confusing /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

What you have to consider is that pork butt-- at BBQ temps-- typically takes 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound to reach internal temps of 190* or more. Therefore, a 10 lb. butt will take 15 to 20 hours, using that formula. The MM is the best known way to maintain BBQ temps in a WSM for that length of time. No one is saying to cook a smaller butt any longer than necessary.

Cooking overnight is just a better use of time than hanging around the house all day waiting for pork to cook.

Bob,
I have only used the MM when cooking butt. I guess what I am confused on is smoking time. I realize certain cuts smoke differently, but when 2 6lb butts are taking 12 1/2 hours at 225-250, I am surprised at a 5 lb takes that much less time. There are many x factors (weather, wind, ect.) but I am thinking your normal smoke temp must be higher than mine. I use a candy therm that I check after 3-5 smokes in boiling water. what do you use? I also use a probe for meat temp.

Bob j

I think the key is that it is preferable to take the longer period of time to get to the desired internal temp because this long, slow process allows the fat to render within the meat and the other "things" to break down so that you end up with this unbelievable product - pulled pork. Now if you plan to slice the roast you wouldn't go to the higher internal temp and your time would be less. I suppose you could get to the higher internal temp quicker by cooking with a higher pit temp but I don't think the end product will be as good.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Paul

Bob,

If you keep it low and slow (less than 250) an overnight at 12 hours will not turn it into carbon. That seems about right to me. 10 pm to 10 am, rest it 2hrs., and then..... Lunch!!!!

Good luck!!!

Today on BBQ-U (that Steve Reichlen show on pbs) he was smoking a pork butt and says he always leaves the skin on because he likes "brownies"---that's apparently the name of the darkened, crispy bits of skin which you later hack up with a meat cleaver (the skin will pull clear off the meat when it's done) and redistribute through the pulled pork.

I might end up doing my Mr. Brown tonight instead of Monday. Just assembled my friend's new WSM and it looks soooo beautiful. It's cold, but worse, WINDY, just like my first cook, so this time I'm breaking out the silver bullet cover. Will have to forgo the temp probe cuz i think it will be unhappy under the cover (my beloved maverick remote, sniff sniff--I miss it already), so I'll be flying blind.

Just popped onto the site to see if I correctly recalled that other scofflaws ran afoul of the "put the rub on and let it sit overnight" instruction, cuz i surely don't have that kind of time.

Bob-
MM is just a way to get your coals started for a long cook (best for cooking times of over 7hrs). This is the only method I use and if I'm only cooking for 6hrs (for spare ribs) I just don't load up so much charcoal in the ring or chimney. Unless you sleep 12hrs at a time (which I suspect you don't) then you can always check on your cook after 7-8hrs. There is no real good way to time your cooks of pork shoulder or brisket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back