Stubborn Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick P.

TVWBB Super Fan
Had a friend call me last week and asked me to bring pulled pork to his house on Sat. for a little get together (12 guys). Friday 2:30 PM I lit my WSM for an overnighter. Put on a 14 1/4 lb. brisket on bottom rack (Just fit) and a 9 1/4 lb. shoulder. Saturday 6:00 AM brisket is at 165*, I pulled it, foiled it with a little beef broth and a little more Texas BBQ rub and returned to smoker. Shoulder was 160* at that time. 9:00AM brisket hit 200* shoulder at 160*, I took brisket off and put it in a cooler. 12:00, I'm suppose to be at party with shoulder but it's only at 170*. I called and told my budy that I would be a little late. 1:30 it finally hit 190* I took it, wraped in foil and in a cooler and ran. Pulled it at 2:30 and it was gone 100% by 2:45. At first my buddy thought I was pulling his pork, but after 1 taste everybody agreed it was worth the wait. I never had a butt take 23 hours to cook. Anybody else experince this?

Nick P.

Nick
Foiling the butts would have sped up the cook just like you did with the briskets.

It's not all that uncommon for a butt to be stubborn, you will find that no two cooks will be the same, making adjustments is the name of the game.

Sounds like the cook was a success and that's the bottom line.
Jim

Yah, I always foil on bigger butts (anything over 6 lbs). Count on 2 hours/lb. I wouldn't even try a butt that big (9+ lbs), opting for 2 smaller ones instead...I just don't have that kinda time.

Oh, 23 hrs is a short cook for me these days, lol!

Just for the record, they actually do ok if you must foil and finish 'em in the oven. Otherwise, they seem to cook on their own timeframe.

Thus I marvel at BBQ competitors who must meet tight turn-in deadlines. Yowza, does that sound stressful....!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back