Structured approach or loose cannon?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, I have been printing off reams of paper concerning the Minion Method, Chris's tips, various receipes and more in anticipation of the final leg of climbing K2. I am doing this based on years of Computer background that forces a structured approach to a new project or question. But now that I am a Daytrader, some (if not all) may think I am a loose cannon in resolving questions. So, in my research, I came across a comment about "not peeking inside".. here is my question. How does one tell if it is time to add water, or baste, or turn the meat without peeking? Do I do this by monitoring the 3 devices I have ready to use(dual remote probes and 1 top guage) and analyzing the tempatures(structured approach /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) before doing anything, OR, do I start shooting the six guns and open it when my gut says to pull the trigger (loose cannon approach /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . Thanks in advance

You can go about 3 to 4 hours on the standard WSM water pan before it would need any water, so if you go 3 hours and at that point open the access door and fill the waterpan you will be ok.
Based on what you are going to cook there is what we call the halves, this is the point where you would baste, mop or turn a piece of meat IE:
ribs (spares based on a six hour cook, could go longer of course) at the 3 hour point open the pit and mop and possibly flip if in a rib rack.
1 1/2 hours later do the same thing again.
If you plan for this process you can do this quickly and not prolong the cook very much.
Hope this helps.
Jim
PS: Opening it when your gut tells you to work also, SHOOT THOSE GUNS!!!

Robert,

In addition to what Jim said, you can check the water and fuel level by just opening the access door. Checking the meat can also be done by opening the lid just enough to peek in, thereby, minimizing heat loss. Once you get comfortable with your cooker, you will find that the urge to look will diminish and you will start depending only on your knowledge and remote thermometer. Just remember, "If you're looking, it's not cooking." /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back