Strike 3, tough ribs

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
tried another set of ribs on the smoker. Two racks of baby back hormels at 230 degrees for 4.5 hours and they did not shrink down on the bone real well. I probably should have let them stay longer, but i was afraid they would dry out. How can a med size set of baby backs take 4.5, almost 5 hours. My spares have taken 5 hours, but not baby backs. Should i have left them on another hour or so? Can one set of baby backs take 3.5 hours to get tender and the next set take 5.5?

Yep, every cut of meat is different and cook times will vary. You can use time to start checking the meat, but temp and feel are the best indicators for doneness.

Just out of curiosity, have you calibrated you thermometers recently?

How many lbs per slab were they? I've cooked 2.5 lb slabs of loin ribs at 250 for over 5 hours to get them done before. I've never had a slab get tender in 3.5 hours though. You weren't peeking at them too much were you?
icon_wink.gif

If you are cooking at 230 lid, that is kind of low.

If you are cooking at 230 grate, that time may not be that far off.

I usually cook baby backs at 250-265 lid ( wherever the wsm wants to settle). They are usually done in about 4 hours or so.

Hey Davidd,

I used to follow the 4 hour cooktime for fear of them drying out, but lately I have left some on for as long as 6 and noticed that they just get more tender and tasty. Don't worry about the amount of time, just go by look and feel like Russ said.

I've noticed that they hit a point where they seem to start drying out, but then just get saturated with all the rendered fat and get to the "fall-off-the-bone tender" point soon after.

My word of advice, start them early, and you can always wrap them in foil and throw them in a cooler to keep them hot if you need to. It works like a charm!

---

David
Based on your explanation of the cook as Dan said it was a 6 to 7 hour cook. There are foiling techniques that will cut the overall time and work very well.

Once they are tender if you keep cooking they will dry out but the moisture released while becoming tender is the moisture we are looking for. BBQ is not about time, that's baking.
Jim

Ok, thanks for all the input. When i think I am about to develop some consistency in my efforts, I am thrown another twist, so i am clearly still learning. Being small meat that is reportedly more tender as compared to spares, i was surprised that they could take so long. Especially since i have done them in 4 hours before. thx again

Davidd,

I usually coook my baby backs for 6 hours. Three hours unfoiled, two hours foiled, and then the last hour to 45 minutes unfoiled. Before foiling, I spray them with a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and pineapple juice.
My racks average from 2.5 to 3 pounds per rack.

Ray

Back