Strange temperature phenomeneon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hello all. Noticed something strange last night on my cook. As a newbie I wasn't sure if it was expected or whether I'd somenhow managed to defy the laws of time, space and physics.

I was about 2 1/2 hours into a cook of a 5 lb rolled turkey breast. I was using a a Weber wireless thermometer and it registered 150 degrees.

The WSM was cookinng right where I wanted it at 235.

At this point I put a 4 lb salmon fillet on the top rack right next to the turkey roll. It also had a Weber wireless probe in it. The salmon registered 59 degrees.

The lid temperature on the WSM dropped to 205 but got back up to 220 in about 10 minutes.

Here's where it gets strange: For the next hour or so the turkey breast continued to cool until *both* the salmon and the turkey breast reached 143 degrees.

My lid temperature was pretty much stable between 225 and 235.

Can anyone explain what was going on? I son't want to jump to conclusions but is it possible the salmon was stealing heat from the turkey breast, even while the overall WSM temperature was higher than both of them?

BTW, I'm counting on you guys to help out. I have a room full of NY Giants fans in my living room and I'm an EAGLES fan. I've been bragging about this site to all of them. And as if my ribs that they're choking down aren't good enough they're making me prove it.

Probably has somethign to do with my brother who hasn't shown up with the cheesesteaks and hoagies yet.

At this point I put on a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back