Strange rib cut?......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
How can I explain this without sounding like a nut. I usually use Hormel St.louis cuts. So I go to the market last night to pick up a slab. Nothing there really floated my boat, so I picked the best of the bunch. They all seemed real thick on one side. I get them home and notice that the flap is on the opposite end of the slab than rest the rest of the slabs I've ever done. Am I sounding like a nut yet? O.K., looking at the ribs bone side up, with the small ribs on your left, the flap has always been on the right, it's opposite this time. (The flap is still on the long rib side though) I know it's probably just the oppisite side of the pig, but it just doesn't look right. There was a lot of extra meat on the small side, double the lentgh of the small ribs. Had to trim it way back. I think I got spares that were labeled as St. Louis. Also it had a bone perpendicular to the ribs. But not as big as the bone was last time I did "spares w/ brisket removed". What the hell did I get? Just a slab that wasn't trimmed right or did I get something else? Did everyone follow that descpition, lol.

Isn't St. Louis style just a way to trim spares? I think you got the same ribs as usual but they wernt trimmed to the way you are used to.

you can debone that trimming you removed from teh top and increase you're yield from a rack significantly.

P

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Badly trimmed but was able to keep the weight up at rib prices.
Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Jim...you got a piece of meat that could qualify as an off-cut. It may have been a junior butcher or just someone who wasn't paying attention. It may throw you off, but...it's from the same part of the animal and the same cooking standards remain. It's harder to trim and figure out where you are...but when it comes down to it, it's just meat. I'd cook it like I picked up a slab that was perfect.
icon_smile.gif

What is the preferred style of rib y'all like to use in your wsm? I would think a KC style would fit the best (lengthwise) but they're usually more costly. I know you can roll and skewer ribs, but I prefer them straight. No real reason, just because. How many full slabs can you really get on a wsm? With a rib rack, 6 or 8 slabs max? Do all styles of ribs generally need the ends cut off to fit lengthwise? It's not that I've never bought ribs before. I've just never bought any for my wsm. I'll be having my first wsm cook this w/e and ribs are on the menu. So I just wanted some info before I went shopping for meat. Thanks!

Rick

Bill,

Definately a strange thing to see in the package. I agree with Jim, though. Maybe it was a rack that went through to keep the quota up. Like how you always see more law enforcement nabbing speeders at the end of a month.

Anyway, Rick, what's a KC style rib? Is that another name for a St. Louis cut? And isn't a St. Louis just what Chris K. said it was? I usually buy spares and cut them down. that also means I get to grill some of those cut-offs to eat while the ribs are smokin'. That's a big bonus, 'cause if I didn't do that, I'd probably fall down from drinking before the ribs were done! As far as how you put them in the WSM, I'm a fan of the roll and skewer. I just roll the enough to make the ends touch. That way they stay pretty loose. I could probably get 8 racks in the WSM without much hassle. Not a big fan of the rib rack, mostly because I always seem to screw up the bark when I'm moving them (see drinking reference)...just my 2 cents....

According to the rib section on this website the only real difference between KC style and StL style is the flap is removed on the KC. Basically the same. One store I buy my ribs at cuts them StL style (flap on) and they leave the tips and ends in the package (hidden under the slab). I figured it was a sneaky way of adding more weight to the package. But like you say, these pieces do come in handy. I always (so far) buy my ribs with at least the sternum section removed. I see you trim your own ribs, is it a hassle or a very time consuming process? I have a tendency to cut myself along with whatever I'm trimming up. And that's before I start drinking.
icon_rolleyes.gif

To be totally honest with y'all, although I'm learning, testing, and eating all these goodies myself, (with help from friends and family). My goal is to sell my "Q" at work, (I already have around 30 people asking for my pulled pork on a weekly basis). Then when I retire in 5 years step up to a concession type set-up or maybe even a small carry-out/delivery joint. I'm not looking to open a restaurant or make a million dollars. I just want a way to make hungry people happy and supplement my pension all while doing something I love to do ....BBQ! Any suggestions or tips on this topic will be greatly appreciated. Maybe I should've started a new thread for this topic? ... oops, sorry.
Thanks and have a great weekend folks.

Rick aka "the rookie"

KC, St. Louis and Baby Backs are all just different amounts of trimming. Alton Brown did a real good description of the differences in an episode (I think the one that he "barbequed" ribs in the oven
icon_frown.gif
).

KC and St. Louis are different (or are they?) styles of trimming spare ribs. "Baby back" is a term used to denote loinback ribs below a certain weight, presumably from a younger animal.

Rick,

It's not a hassle at all to trim down the spares to the way you want 'em (you'll probably save a buck a pound or more trimming them yourself). I think it's less of a hassle than taking off the membrane. Get yourself a nice heavy meat cleaver and go to town!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back