Storage question

Chris G

Well everybody, I put a pork butt and a couple slabs of ribs on the smoker about an hour and a half ago. The ribs should be done by dinner time and the butt should be done by 11.
How should I store the butt? I have to take it up to Olathe tomorrow for my mom because she didn't get any of my last smoke.

pull it when its ready and bag it in ziploc's... take it with ya and reheat... butt reheat very well as long as it stays moist... maybe spritz it with some before you reheat, i've heard some say to use apple juice... i usually just nuke it to reheat and it comes out fine...

If you have a vacuum sealer, pull the butt, seal it in 1-lb packages, press it down so that it makes very thin packages, and throw the sealed packages in an ice and water slurry for a while. This will chill them quickly.

When Mom wants some BBQ, she can grab a 1-lb package, toss the unopened package in a pot of simmering (NOT boiling) water for about 10 minutes, and it tastes like it just came off the smoker. I package pork up like this on a regular basis for my 87-year-old grandmother, whom I've turned into a regular barbecue snob.

Keri C

Thanks Keri, I was planning on doing something like that. Besides, maybe I can steal a bit of my cooking for the trip up
icon_smile.gif

Back