Storage ? for Kevin Kruger

Dan N.

TVWBB Pro
Friend of mine is doing 30 butts over the next 3 weeks for a big party. Freezing will be done in commercial pans covered with saran and then alum foil. My question - he says that he will be adding apple juice before he freezes. I think he shouldn't add anything, but when the pans are thawed he can provide a combo of apple juice, BBQ sauce, rub, etc to be added at that point of time. Just seems to me that adding the apple juice early may make some mushy pork.

Thanks - Always value your input. Dan

I'm no kevin kruger... but...

I don't think there is too much of a problem with the apple juice beforehand. Since the meat is frozen, it won't break down the meat too much. Plus, apple juice doesn't have too much acidity in it, which is a bigger culprit for breaking down meat than just plan liquid.

But, I'm no expert (i.e., k. kruger)...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...may make some mushy pork. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Or, perhaps, may make some of the pork mushy.

Moisture from any source will freeze into large ice crystals if the freezing happens slowly, as it does with home freezers. The large crystals can actually cut into the meat fibers and, when thawed, make the texture mushier. Whether or not this will occur on enough meat to be noticeable is a matter of the original meat texture at the outset, the quantity of the added juice, and how fast freezing occurs. Though it will be very slow by commercial standards where frozen food is flash or blast frozen, the more time the juice has to pool in the meat at the bottom of the container the more possible that that meat tends toward mushy. It is still quite possible that no one would notice after the meat is mixed, heated and sauced but it's hard to say with certainty--how and with what it's sauced and the sensitivity of the diner(s) dining are factors as well. Might not be a big deal at all but since there is no benefit to adding the juice before freezing I agree with you, Dan, and I wouldn't either.

If there were an occasion where you wanted to freeze meat with some added flavors, say--maybe you were giving a pack of frozen pulled pork to friends and wanted it to be able to be thawed and heated and eaten unsauced if desired--but you wanted some signature flavors in there, then the thing to do to ameliorate the outcome is to mix your ingredients and emulsify them before adding them to the pork and freezing. E.g., apple juice, vinegar (if desired), rub, a little sauce, can be whisked or blended together (with a little prepared mustard and then a little oil drizzled in if the sauce isn't able to emulsify on its own, which depends on its ingredients). This process allows the mix to cling better but the oil mitigates the larger ice cryatals.

Good call on the acidity issue, Adam. As noted, it is possible that no one would notice any mushiness depending on the variables involved and were you to know it wouldn't be an issue then its possibility due to potential acidity would be the controlling focus.

Thanks. Can always count on you guys for an answer that just keeps us asking more questions.

Oh. doing a B&B tonight. 15 1/2 lb'r on bottom rack. See BBQ forum for what I'm doing.

Kevin, 2 q's. #1 isn't vinegar an acid so it's use should be limited according to what you have said? #2 Does the emulsion hold up under freezing and reheating?

I would never have thought about using an emusion-I like the idea of the mustard in it.
This may get away from the flavors I normaly aim for.

Dan-- That is totally Adam's fault. He enjoys being provocative.
icon_biggrin.gif

Steve-- 1: Yes, and you do limit it. By mixing it with the other ingredients (juice(s), water, oil) you decrease the acidity. Also, it's best to limit quantity to 1 to 2 T/cup or so of meat, imo, but it might be worth experimenting. As above, whatever mushiness that might occur from ice crystal formation or acidity (if the mix ended up acidic) might not be noticeable or might not be objectionable.

2: Yes, rather well actually. As viscous liquids cool they thicken further. During reheating they'll thin but usually hold their viscosity or emulsion; stirring is all that's needed. Quantity can be a factor and here would be another point in favor of limiting it.

Back