StokerLog Version 4.0 Preview

Amir,

I made some changes to my timer program. It now looks at the stoker via HTTP, retrieves the value of each plugged in temperature probe, then send the values via email or cell phone text message, at a regular interval selected by the user. I have a country ham in the smoker now and will be heading to the golf course at noon. This should be a good test. If all goes well, I'll release it to the forum. It's not made to take the place of your software, I could not possible duplicate that, but it will run at the same time without interference.

This is the message with one probe attached:
Other Alarm: TIMER
Time = 9:23 AM
Smoker--225/225.2
Ham--185/60

From IP: 68.47.171.136

Cool Ken.

FYI, I have gotten a request to enhance the HTTP messages that I post right now. I think you had asked for something similar. Please remind me of what you wanted added and I could put it in.

Originally posted by Amir:
Cool Ken.

FYI, I have gotten a request to enhance the HTTP messages that I post right now. I think you had asked for something similar. Please remind me of what you wanted added and I could put it in.

Well, I think the auto reminders that I put in my program is a good idea. To implement that, you'll also need to add a posting field to hold that information. In my sendmail.aspx, I have added 2 fields that you can use, "message" and "time" I have found that on Verizon Wireless, any text message over ~128 characters is cut off, so short and sweet is the key. I put the "time" label in there for bell-south users, their message might not be delivered until 15 minutes late or worse.

## We also talked of an additional message if the "keep warm" feature is initialized.

## Auto restarting the timers after a program restart. (I had to re-start mine yesterday, but I did not have the timers set) In the newest version of my program, I save the timer information to Properties.Setting.Default configuration. I'll send you a copy of the code if you like.

## this is your food ready alarm "Other Alarm: PROBE:HAM" , I think this could be enhanced a bit.

## your fire alarm does not say, low or high, good information to know.

## with my message field, you should include all the active probes readings.

I can't think of anything else, except for later we discussed the idea of creating points to auto increase or decrease the stoker control probe set point. Like I did with my Turkey, start at 225, then step up to 300 after 1 hour. I did this to add additional smoke flavor. This seems to work better at lower temps, plus it keeps it exposed longer. Could be my imagination. You will need more input on that from other users.

I'll put my timers package on http://www.krownsoft.com/download/timers.zip

Anybody else been able to access the stoker application web page with their BlackBerry? Thanks.

Sean

Sean,

Hi from Vienna, just west of you here in VA. I use a Blackberry 7130e on Verizon Wireless to talk to my Stoker. I get very occasional timeouts (the Stoker can be slow to respond sometimes) but most of the time it works great.

I use the Opera 4 Mini browser for Blackberry to access the Stoker. The built-in Blackberry browser mangles the Stoker configuration page pretty badly. Opera Mini 4 shows the whole page, and lets you zoom in or out to different areas.

I have Cox Internet, and unfortunately they block Port 80, which is used for HTTP (browser) traffic. I found that most DLink routers can do Port Translation and found a nice one on Craigslist for $15, and now I can get to my Stoker from any browser with the router set up to translate from the special port I'm using on the "public" side of the network to my "private" side on Port 80. Normally I don't leave the special port open unless I really need to access the Stoker while I'm away from the house.

Can you navigate to your Stoker from other networks and browsers without the timeouts? If so, the Blackberry should work too!

Amir,

First, thank you for a GREAT little app. I use Stokerlog ALL THE TIME!

Have you ever considered allowing the user to set alternate port numbers for the HTTP and TELNET connection between Stokerlog and the Stoker?

The Stoker uses Port 80 for the web connection and Port 23 for the Telnet connection, and in my case, my ISP blocks incoming Port 80 requests. I can get around this on the Stoker web page interface using Port Translation on my DLink router, and I can Telnet to my Stoker from the outside world just fine, but Stokerlog gives up when it can't establish the HTTP link.

If Stokerlog allowed custom port settings for the HTTP and (for cases where it's needed, TELNET) it would be possible to run Stokerlog remotely too. I can think of a few cases where this would come in handy (i.e., long boring meetings where I have nothing better to do than watch my BBQ at work).

I'm not complaining - I love Stokerlog and I'm just wondering if you've ever considered this.

Thanks for a great program!

Jack

Vienna, VA

The key is getting Stoker to use an alternate port, like 8080, for http. Then, not only would you IPS not block it, but, your router wouldn't have any problems with it. Amir's software could be adapted to use an alternative port. I e-mails Rocks about this and never reveiced a reply. That pretty common though.

Amir,

My sendmail.aspx was denying access to address's being sent to anyone other than a krownsoft e-mail account. I have switched the smpt server to a gmail server and it is now accepting any valid e-mail address. To make it work, it will have to be sent from your app, StokerLog, or my app, timers. It accepts and sends email based upon your established method http://XXX.com/sender.asp?email=valid@emailaddress.com. It will not relay email if the post field, [Alarm] is not present. It will also process 2 new fields, [Time] and [Message] . Feel free to use this URL to send your messages. http://www.krownsoft.com/sendmail.aspx .

Ken, I am confused. How do you authenticate the name of the app that is sending it?

Or do you mean it only works for the syntax we are using?

Amir

Originally posted by Amir:
Ken, I am confused. How do you authenticate the name of the app that is sending it?

Or do you mean it only works for the syntax we are using?

Amir

It does not authenticate the sending app. It only works as a HTTP post with the dataset that we use. So if a field name alarm, and an e-mail address is not sent, it does nothing. I have since found that it lists my gmail account as the sender. I'm not too crazy about that, so I'm working on establishing SSL on my domain.

Amir,

I now have my timer program doing the following operations.

#1 It will notify via email by user set time interval. IE every 30 minutes

#2 It will notify via e-mail by up to 3 pre-set times.

#2a , It will optionally reset any probe to a new value at that pre-set time. IE. Reset Stoker control temperature to 275 in 1 hour.

#3 Ramps. It will reset any probe to a new value based on the reading of any probe and can be adjusted on temperature rise or fall. IE. If control probe is set for 225°, it will reset that for 275 when Turkey reaches 155°. or reset the control to 220 when turkey reaches 165, then reset the stoker to 225 when stoker falls to 220. No limit to number of ramps. It executes sequentially. Right now this will work only with a single control, but you can run more than one instance of the program.

If e-mail notification is on, it will send a list of events and current temps for all probes.

It does no real logging like your program, but it handles notifications and reset events pretty good. I'll post it if you think someone could use it until you finish your.

Ken..
I would like to try your new app if you have time to post a link. i am trying the older version you had posted. I got it to work but don't know how to stop the beeping after it sends the message. I love the email on the cell phone letting me know how the temps are doing.

Thanks for developing it.

Doing a pair of turkeys
Per National weather service:
Light Snow and Windy 13°F (-11°C)
Wind Speed: SW 32 G 45 MPH
icon_eek.gif

Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Hartford:
Ken..
I would like to try your new app if you have time to post a link. i am trying the older version you had posted. I got it to work but don't know how to stop the beeping after it sends the message. I love the email on the cell phone letting me know how the temps are doing.

Thanks for developing it.

Doing a pair of turkeys
Per National weather service:
Light Snow and Windy 13°F (-11°C)
Wind Speed: SW 32 G 45 MPH
icon_eek.gif

Jeff

Jeff,

I'll post it later on this evening. I need to write up some instructions so you'll know how to set it up properly and why it would beep when it shouldn't. I have to deliver a couple of turkeys to some friends, but i'll be back in a couple of hours. Look for a new post and a location to download.

Ken

Ken,

Very Cool.

Now i have to go get more turkeys to try out the new features.

Thanks again for developing and providing this program.

Jeff

Ken,
I am using your application along with Amir's, all I can say is great job.
A couple of other features would be really handy.

1) The ability to set the timers to loop. Maybe just a check box next to each one.
2) An email test button would be good.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else I would like to see in it at this point.

Amir,
I am using Stokerlog 42a and it appears that the Auto lid detection is not working. This is the second cook with this version and my blower does not shutdown when I pull the lid.

To test the e-mail feature, double click the checkin interval box. (I forgot to tell you about that) On the loop features, the checkin interval is a loop timer. The other are one shot timers. Do you need those to loop as well?

Ken,
I have the smtp setup just like I have my email client setup and I can't get the email to work,

I think one loop timer would be sufficient, but why not add the flexibility ot on-shot vs. loop?

Scope creep, I know
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Bob Hunter:
Ken,
I have the smtp setup just like I have my email client setup and I can't get the email to work,

I think one loop timer would be sufficient, but why not add the flexibility ot on-shot vs. loop?

Scope creep, I know
icon_smile.gif

Bob,

Send me a snapshot of your setup screen to my gmail account. krown.kpb@gmail.com. (If you don't know how to do that, let me know) And I'm a little confused about your timer issue. I have 3 separate one shot timers and 1 continous loop timer. What am I missing? I working on alarms now, but just for kicks. Amir has that covered pretty well.

Back