StokerLog in a non Wifi Setting

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
I have my first amateur comp in June and would love to use Stokerlog but we're at the beach. I've seen a few posts about setting up the Stoker directly to a laptop but, and maybe it's just me, they are not that clear. Is there a thread, link or tutorial I can check out to try this? I give myself a 7 of 10 on the Regular Joe meter for IT awareness. It's not really a "need" but, sometimes you have to leave the smoker unatteded and I'd like to see what happened while I was gone.

Easiest thing is to take a cheap wifi router with you. Then just hook up the Ethernet cable to Stoker and then your laptop can use the wireless to connect to it just like at home.

Alternatively, you can direct wire the laptop to the stoker. You do not usually need the crossover cable as modern ethernet ports are autoswitching. What you need to do is to set up the PC to issue IP addresses. This is done through enabling Internet connection sharing. While this is not super complicated, it does require more knowledge to do. And when you go home, you may have to undo it. That is why I am suggesting the router solution which gives you the benefit of wireless connectivity.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
Easiest thing is to take a cheap wifi router with you. Then just hook up the Ethernet cable to Stoker and then your laptop can use the wireless to connect to it just like at home.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also recommend this same setup -- it's exactly what we do at competitions.

Back