Stoker

Mike Mc

TVWBB Member
I like the pretty lights...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

stoker_lights-1024x768.jpg

With all that bling, pretty soon you don't need to cook anything to be entertained!
icon_biggrin.gif

Are the lights color coated or anything? that is, does a pit probe, look like a blower or a meat probe?? Most interesting though I think adding more electronics to it makes it more prone to failure and less battery life if you are operating it that way.

I'd prefer a braided stainless steel outer insulation over the pretty lights for the meat/pit probes though. Might cost more but would save me from having to foil them.

-rob

They are color coded. They all come on when the stoker boots up.
Blue = Blower
It only comes on when the blower fan is active.
There is red on the pit temp but I havent seen it come on yet. Green on the food temp probe? I think it comes on when the food probe is in the set temp zone. This is my first cook with it.
The LEDs add almost nothing to power comsumption. Even if they failed the device would continue to operate. You just woudlnt have the pretty light.I like the blue light. I can see the stoker on the porch throught the glass door- I know every time the blower comes on.
I just set it up on twitter as well.
twitter.com/BBQcraft
IMG_0734.JPG

Wow, those little suckers are bright! I don't think I'd like to use those at home though. My smoker is mounted on a trailer that I keep in the back yard. Those lights would attract too much attention during long unattended overnight cooks.

And when I need to know when the fan was on, I just look at StokerLog.

It was almost dark when I took the picture and I think the camera did a little compensation with no flash on. But yes, it would be very bright at night.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
Are the lights color coated or anything? that is, does a pit probe, look like a blower or a meat probe?? Most interesting though I think adding more electronics to it makes it more prone to failure and less battery life if you are operating it that way.

I'd prefer a braided stainless steel outer insulation over the pretty lights for the meat/pit probes though. Might cost more but would save me from having to foil them.

-rob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only used my probes twice so far but I haven't been wrapping them. Why the wrap? To prevent moisture? Are you only wrapping the probes ends where the covering starts?
Thanks

I don't see a need to wrap the leads. They are apparently a high temp rated material. They wipe clean easily with a cloth.

hehe, I used my new colored probes just this past weekend, Friday night! Sure enough, Saturday morning my neighbor called and was asking questions. She thought I had some ambers falling out of my egg...

They are cool!

Back