Stoker with Guru Mount?

Steve Roxberg

TVWBB Member
I am getting ready to order a Stoker. I like the Stoker Log capabilities and the ability to check temps from the office on a long day cook.

That said, I like the mounting method of the Digi Q II better. In looking at the Rock site it looks like I can purchases a Guru mount and use the mounting method for the Guru with my Stoker.

Has anyone done this, does it work well?

I have a 18 WSM, but plan on upgrading to a 22 someday should I get the 5cfm or 10cfm fan. I live in Kansas and do smoke in the winter if that makes a difference. Coldest temp while smoking so far was 26f.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I like the mounting method of the Digi Q II better. In looking at the Rock site it looks like I can purchases a Guru mount and use the mounting method for the Guru with my Stoker.

Has anyone done this, does it work well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,
I can't answer your question in detail as I have not had a chance to actually do a smoke with this setup, but I am in the process of setting up my WSM this way. I do like the Guru mount setup and adapter much better than the dog bowl for a couple of reasons and just received my new adapters. I will be installing this weekend hopefully to see how it all fits together.

I am pretty sure Yankeee Rob on here has the Guru mount on his WSM and I think he competes with it, so it must work fairly well.

Kg

26f???? How about -10? Done that before! Just follow the link that Jim posted and you should be set. If you have any questions let me know.

I do indeed compete with that very WSM pictured in that thread. It's used for ribs and chicken. In the off season I use it on the deck.

For referece, the link Jim posted:
Guru mount for Stoker
-rob

Rob,

I changed my blower adapter to the guru mount. I have it attached to one of the vent holes right now, but I think I am going to drill a permanent hole for it, so I can use the vents for grilling if I want without removing the high heat tape.

Where did you drill your hole for the guru mount? Was it above or lower than the charcoal grate? And how much lower or higher than the grate? I know that the inside deflector funnels most of the air down so I was thinking that it should go just below the grate so the air goes under the coals and then comes up, but was wondering if it would then blow to much ash up and about.

Thanks for any help.

Kg

Mine Guru mount is about 1/2 above the grate with the outlet facing down. I figured it would light both the stuff on the grate and burn the fuel on top. Remember, you're looking for maximum combustion when mounting it.

-rob

Thanks Rob. Is the bottom of the deflector 1/2" above the grate? Right now when I put the adapter into the bottom vent, it places the bottom of the deflector just about even with the top of the grate and had to try to move the grate away from the bowl so the air could go down.

Also, can you explain with that silicon gasket does? I did not order one but I see it on your pics on that one thread and also on Rock's website, but when I insert my male fan adapter into the female guru mount, it seems like the male end does not go in far enough to have the gasket touch the female part. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for all the help.
Kg

Keith,

I actually drilled a hole on the WSM for a new mount 1/2 inch above the grate. That way I can use the natural WSM vents if I'm forced to because of no power at an event.

The gasket actually butts up against the copper coupler when fully inserted. I think for the most part it's function is to make a tight seal and dissipate heat so the electronics in the blower don't melt. I also think it was designed for another smoker like the BWS. My blowers came with it from the factory when I told them "I want a standard Guru mount".

As long as you have a good airtight seal it should be fine even with a small amount of leakage. The software in the Stoker is adaptive so it should account for each mounting as long as it's not grossly out of specs.

-rob

Thanks Rob for the info. I think I am going to try using the mount on the bottom and top vent holes to see which one has better air distribution before I drill a hole.

I haven't used the new guru mount with lit charcoal yet (only testing the fan and adapter mount), so I will see how the heat buildup and air seal progresses to see if I should get a gasket.

Thanks again.
Kg

So... where did you wind up drilling your mount point? I got my new digiq on Monday and am planning the permanent mount, separate from the main vents...

I bought a GURU mount for the Stoker. It requires a 1/2 in hole drilled in the bottom of the unit. You want it about the same place the factory vents are. Chose a location between the top and bottom 3 holes and drill a new one. The Guru mount is coupled to the stoker blower bay a cheap $1 copper coupler. The Guru mount can be found here:
Standarnd Weber BBQ Guru Mount

Back