Stoker - Wireless Gaming Adapter

Larry,

Search for posts by me. I had 2 of these game adapters and went through all the steps to set this up. I FINALLY got it working and the next day the setup no longer worked. It was possibly a compatibility issue with my brand of wireless router. I determined I spent WAY too much of my time (and my buddy's time who is an IT guy) and I replaced the game adapter with a different brand name wireless bridge operating at 802.11 G. It sounds like you had this working with an Xbox in the past. If this is the case it should work fine with your Stoker. Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It sounds like you had this working with an Xbox in the past. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea it worked great with the Xbox and I'm using the same wireless router that we used it with back then so hopefully I should just be able to plug her in and she should connect . . . a little wishful thinking. My only question is whether or not I need to type in a MAC address for the Stoker since I use MAC filtering.

Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd add this question on to this one. I know I can run Ken's program and Stokerlog at the same time, but can I run Stokerlog on two computers simultaneously? The reason I ask is I'm doing an overnight smoke. The computer I'll be capturing data on will be different than the laptop I put in the bedroom to listen for alarms on. Any conflicts here?

I'd say no on running Stokerlog on 2 computers at the same time. It uses telnet to communicate with he stoker. The stoker doesn't multitast with telnet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by reardon:
amir is more than a programmer...

he is a jack of all trades that had too much ice cream! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems like we have some cross forum breeding going on here
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the kind words. Just to let folks in on the inide joke above, I retired from Microsoft recently, having run their digital media division for a decade, a job which I really loved. So when I announced my retirement on an AV forum where I hang out, I called it "eating too much ice cream." And hence the running joke...

Retirement is also given me time to work on the program more. So I am trying to get version 5 going before someone comes knocking on my door to go back to work
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Brown:
I'd say no on running Stokerlog on 2 computers at the same time. It uses telnet to communicate with he stoker. The stoker doesn't multitast with telnet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In some future version, I will probably create some way of multiplexing the output from Stoker so that two sessions can be run.

The other way is to have one get data from the other.

There is a shorter term hack. Namely, I am able to log all telnet data from the stoker. I could make the second program slave to the first, reading this log file instead of talking to stoker directly. Then all you have to do is share out the log file. Is there enough interest in such a feature to go and create this hack?

Amir, sounds like a very rewarding position at Microsoft. I've been to the Redmond Campus many times. Yes, please stay focused on the Stokerlog prior to someone comes knocking on your door
icon_biggrin.gif

Regarding the "hack" you mentioned; I think there are probably more useful enhancements vs. this convenience request. I can easily run this on one machine and just take place it on my nightstand at night.

Here's a Stoker question for you guys. Can I adjust the volume of the alarm on the stoker to zero and still have the volume on the Stokerlog where I need it to alert me during an overnight smoke? Hope that made sense.

Larry,

I might be able to answer the last question. You can set alarms on the StokerLog without setting the alarms on the Stoker itself. On the StokerLog program, you can see a large UPDATE button. If you press that button with alarms set on the StokerLog, the software will update the Stoker. You can however set the alarms and then not press the update button. The alarm will so off on the StokerLog program but not on the stoker. There was a glitch when you use the keep warm feature, in that, when it updates the new temp to the Stoker, it did not reset the alarms. That caused a lot of noise, inside and out, while everything was actually operating correctly. That may be fixed now, but it still had a glitch the last time I used it.

Ken

Thanks Ken, so I just turned off alarms on my Stoker via it's web interface and I have alarms set on my Stokerlog, however I have not hit "update stoker." So I should be good, no?

The wireless bridge seems to be working well, had some difficulty getting her setup but now she seems to be running well. It's raining here so I put all the electronics in a clear tote with a couple holes cut in the sides for wires and everything is working well so far. 18 lbs of butts on there for Super Bowl.

Yes Larry, I think you've got it. Good luck on the cook, I've got a couple of butts going now myself. I brined them so they should cook a little faster, been on for 3:07 now, and up to 144°.

After wasting the day finding firmware upgrades and usb drivers for an old D-link wireless bridge, I hit the wall when even with the latest firmware, it could only do WEP -- my wireless router uses WAP PTK?. I found a NetGear WNCE2001-100NAS (which I cannot even find on netgear.com) at a couple of nearby Walmarts, and BestBuy does not seem to have any wireless bridges or game adapters for rj-45 to wireless at all. Is anyone using that piece? I really wanted to do a bunch of cooking this weekend with my new Stoker, but a cable connection is out of the question, so I need a locally available wireless bridge. Any others that are likely to be available at a e-games store (I cannot remember which stores we have locally)?

Update: NetGear lists it without the -100NAS.
I found one at Staples (the last one at that store) at a good price (~$57). When I got it home and out of the box I was stunned by how small it is: not much thicker than an old pcmcia card and shorter. It comes with a 3' rj45 cable and two power cables: one with a wall wart and one to get power from a USB port. It has the capability to configure with WPS but my Uverse router does not support that so I had to disconnect my win box network cable and connect to the device with the provided network cable which autolaunched a web config interface when I ran Internet Exploder. I entered my SSID and WAP Pin, it churned for about two minutes and I was back on the internet wirelessly. I disconnected it from the PC, hooked it up to the Stoker and the Stoker got its IP number from DHCP and everything is running.

Back