Stoker - Wireless communication without Internet

Thank you for the help Rob,
Followed the steps and I ping the game adaptor and it responds. So I ping the stoker and it times out. So I checked the IP address of the stoker and it is set right. One thing I did notice is that the stoker keeps setting the subnet to 255.255.255.255. I switch it to 255.255.255.0 to match the laptop and adaptor. It will not make that switch.

I tried to ping the game adaptor again and it now times out.
So I checked all IP addresses and restart the game adaptor and my laptop.
The ping now finds game adaptor again but times out with the stoker. And when I ping the game adaptor immediately after the stoker times out, it now times out too.

I do have my home network running on 192.168.1.250. Will that screw anything up?
Also my wireless icon shows a peer to peer network hooked up. When I unplug the game adaptor the icon shows the network disconnected.

Rob thanks again for the help. I am leaving for vacation right now and will check back when I return next Saturday. Unless you'd like to meet me in Cabo and set this up for me. :)

I do have my home network running on 192.168.1.250. Will that screw anything up?
The one Rob had you configure has a different third octet 192.168.2.x so no, no issue.

It's odd the stoker keeps resetting sn mask to 255.255.255.255. That's not a practical valid sn mask. Perhaps it's calculating it based on the ip address so you might try instead 192.168.2.1, 192.168.2.2 for your laptop and game adaptor on your STOKERNET network with the sn mask of 255.255.255.0.

When troubleshooting I would make sure you can connect to the WGA first which looks like you can. Make sure all IP addresses on STOKERNET are unique. I don't know why the stoker is reverting back to 255.255.255.255 but that is your problem I think.

Laptop
IP 192.168.2.101
Subnet 252.252.252.0
Default Gateway 192.168.2.1
Preferred DNS 192.168.2.2

Linksys WGA54G
SSID Stokernet
Network type Adhoc
Channel 11
Security Disabled

IP 192.168.2.250
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.2.6

Stoker
IP 192.168.002.105
Subnet 255.255.255.000

OK above are my current setting and the stoker reverting the subnet to 255.255.255.255 is resolved. I think everything is setup correctly because I can sign on to the game adaptor. If I cycle the power on the adaptor, then type in the 192.168.2.250, the setup comes right up and I can make changes to the settings.
So I type in the stoker address 192.168.2.105. And I get a default page that it can not display webpage. And when I type the game adaptor address back in it will not pull up that page. If I cycle the power to the adaptor it quickly pulls up the adaptor page again.
Same thing happens when I run the ipconfig. It will find the adaptor. So I ping the stoker and it times out. I then try to ping the adaptor again and it now times out.

Then I plugged the Stoker directly into my laptop and the stoker webpage pulls right up.

So dejected over my hundredth attempt at this. I changed all the settings to match my wireless home network. And everything hooks up and works perfectly.

?????????????????????????????????????????????

Has anyone successfully set up their stoker to work wirelessly with a laptop while not utilizing a wireless network?

I thought your home network was wired and you were using wireless only for stokernet.

That would mean using two different network adapters, both the wired and wireless nics in your laptop. Two ip stacks ... a multihomed machine.

If you are using wireless for your home network and for stokernet I don't know of any way to make windows run two networks simultaneously off of one adapter (wireless) or for that matter why you would want to.

Glad to hear it is working.

Sorry, I have a desktop computer that is running my home network with a Houghes Net router and Linksys wireless hub. I also have a laptop that I travel with and I sometimes log it into the home network.

I am setting up the Adhoc on my laptop between it and the stoker/wireless game adaptor. Not on the home desktop computer. I would like to use the adhoc when at BBQ Comps and my home network is not available. (When I set up the adhoc on my laptop it disables any connection between it and the home network.)

In the past I was questioning if I had everything set up correctly. But now I cant figure out why it will communicate with the adaptor but not the stoker. Then not able to find the adaptor after it times out with the stoker.

If you can communicate with the adapter, you are communicating via the wired connection of the game adapter (it is invisible from the wireless side). That wired connection should be connected only to the Stoker. The connected, controlling, computer should be connected only via wireless.

When I was setting mine up, it was like working with one hand tied behind me until I put another computer in the place of the Stoker (as a surrogate). I set that computer to have the same address info as I wanted the Stoker to have. That allowed me to reconfigure the game adapter from one computer while testing access from both sides. When I got it right, I just replaced the surrogate computer connected at the wired connection of the adapter with the Stoker and everything worked fine.

If you have a second computer, it is a worthwhile setup and diagnostic technique.

The second computer that is acting in the stead of the Stoker should be setup just like you intend to set up the Stoker, i.e., IP 192.168.2.105 Mask 255.255.255.0 For the adhoc connection, you will not have a gateway or router address. You must connect it to the RJ-45 wired Ethernet connection of the adapter.

From that surrogate computer, you will be able to adjust the settings of the adapter without changing the connections.

In this configuration, you have three devices and only one ethernet wire.

The controlling laptop has no wired network connection. It is set up for the adhoc network that you have described.

The second, surrogate computer is connected directly to the WGA54G with an Ethernet cable.

You can configure the WGA54G from the second computer that is wired directly.

When it works, unplug the wire from the second computer and plug it into the Stoker.

'Works' for me is:
1. I can ping the surrogate computer from the controlling computer.
2. I can ping the controlling computer from the surrogate computer.

Once you have this basic level of 'working', set up some WPA (personal or shared key) security on both ends to avoid mischief.

Before I re-enter the world of total geekdom, let me be sure that I can accomplish my goal.

I have a WGA54G. It works on my network. Any computer on my LAN can access the Stoker.

My goal: setup the WGA54G so that I can access the Stoker from outside my LAN (i.e. while sitting at breakfast across town via my smartphone's web browser).

Brian,

This all depends on the capability of your main router to forward HTTP requests to the IP address and port of your stoker. If your ISP blocks HTTP requests you'll also need a router that can do a port remap. This is all covered on another thread somewhere here.

Back