Stoker WiFi network issues

Ryan P

I recently got a stoker wifi. I did a successful test run with some ribs. The fire temp probe and wifi worked fine. For my next smoke I set up an over night smoke. That's when I noticed the wifi wasn't working. I noticed the IP address was 255.255.255.255. I reset the stoker IP address to 255.0.0.0 and the stoker connected to my router and obtained a new IP address. I connected to the stoker to the StokerLog and set my temps. Everything was working fine so I went to bed. I got up about 4 hours later and noticed in the log that about 30 minutes after I went to bed the wifi connection was lost (it is only 30 ft away from router and a decent signal). I checked the wireless IP and it was 0.0.0.0. I attempted to reconnect to wireless and was unable to get it to do so. So I just connected a wire directly to the stoker and continued with my smoke. The stoker log had multiple errors that I had to continue through and start and stop the the smoke to get past. Finally, when the smoke was almost done I lost the wired connection and was unable to get it back. StokerLog was unable to connect to the stoker and the IP address was displaying wat appeared to raw HTML code. To sum up all the issues I ran into:

1) Had to reset wireless setting between smokes
2) Lost wireless connection and was unable to get it back in the middle of the smoke
3) StokerLog errored out many times requiring me to stop and restart the smoke (start/stop button on the StokerLog)
4) Lost wired connection and only html code was displayed

Anyone else have these issues? More importantly, anyone have any fixes for these issues?

There has been reports of wifi being unreliable. To my knowledge no one has tracked down the cause/fix. Yes, once the box gets messed up, it is very possible for stokerlog to not be able to reconnect to it. Starting/stopping forces a new sequence and often works better.

I suggest hooking up with a wired connection now and let stokerlog run against it for a while. Before that, recycle power on stoker. If this fails, then you should call Rock and find out what is going on. Wired connections should be rock solid.

BTW, I assume the 255.255... that you are calling the IP address is really the mask. The IP address should never be those.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that the 255.255.255.255 was one of the network settings (it was 1:30 AM and I could have easily looked in the wrong place) but I double checked it and had to reference the manual to fix the issue.

I did some more testing this weekend. I ran the Stoker for 48+ hours on wireless with no issues. The only difference was that It was in a different location but virtually the same distance from the router. The biggest problem I had was when the PC went to sleep the StokerLog would report corrupt data from the Stoker. A simple refresh from the Stoker fixed that issue.

I ran a short but successful smoke using the stoker and wifi. Right now I am chalking this up to an anomaly.

I really hope to continue to use the StokerLog with the Stoker. I like the added functionality it provides the Stoker.

Back