Stoker vs Guru

Scotty "V"

I am looking to buy an automatic temperature control and like the Stoker features mainly the internet capability. My concern is that there seems to be continued issues with the Stoker. I see very few complaints surrounding the Guru products.

I am open for suggestions and opinions from all so that I can make a decision.

Thanks

I have been here for a while. I have rarely seen reliability reports for either product. So on that front there should be no worries.

Well I had the Digi Q II and now I own the Cyber Q (by BBQ Guru) which does have computer/internet capabilities and allows me to run two smokers with two food probes.

I think both are fine products. The Stoker wouldn't have the loyal following that it does out here if it wasn't preforming well.

I went with the Guru DigiQ II because I liked its simplicity, didn't really need the internet capabilities, and couldn't get my calls answered when I tried to call the Stoker people. That was a couple of years ago. From what I've read they are trying to address the customer service concerns and if you decide on a stoker you will find plenty of assistance on this board.

There are several threads that discuss the pros and cons of each unit and company. Take your time read through them and figure out which best meets your needs.

From my experience I really love the digiQ II and now the CyberQ and have had fantastic support from the folks at BBQ Guru. They even repaired a probe for free that was WAY out of warranty and have been very helpful with any concerns/questions. I like that the company maintains a separate forum dedicated to their products which is a great place to obtain product information. I've seriously abused their products in inclement weather repeatedly and only fried the DigiQ-II after not taking adequete precautions to prevent rain from getting inside (I blame a bit of this on trusting the weatherman but in the end it was my fault). Ive had great preformance in snow, and very cold weather (-20 windchill)

I'm not as technical at setting up networks as some so I was a little intimidated by what would be involved in setting up the Stokers remote capabilities. At that time the Stoker was the only unit I could find that had a unit that connected to a computer or remote capabilities. While I was interested in this it wasn't my priority.

Its great we have two companies dedicated to making great products that support our hobby.

Take your time, do your due dilligence and have fun! The automatic temprature products are a great way to get a good nights sleep when doing overnight cooks!!

I compete with 3 PitMinders its dosen't get any simpler than that. I love them. Unless you need to graph the temps of you're pork butt, save the money.
about $180 shipped

I went with the DigiQ II. I haven't used it yet or have any exp with either Rocks or the DigiQ but I decided I didn't really need the internet connection. I wanted easy, simple, set pit temp, set meat temp and walk away.

I'm also a techie so it's not like the tech stuff wasn't up my alley. Just when it came down to it the internet wasn't worth it in my eyes. Also priced out with the DigiQ and some eyelets etc the same thing from Guru was about $280 shipped where as the same stuff from Rocks would have been about $320 so I saved a couple bucks.

I'll give details after I use it SOON!! Suppose to be here tomorrow
icon_wink.gif

I have both.they both will keep your pit at the temp you set within a few degrees either way.Your oven in your kitchen is not that good.
You can't go wrong either way. You will be happy with your purchase.Both these companys do business over the phone.Remember what is was like to talk to a real person that was part of the business.

The stoker complaints you may have seen are network related or beta version errors. It is more what people are trying to do with the stoker than a problem with the unit controling temps. The stoker will operate on it’s own, it has its own display. You can plug in probes set the temp and walk away. It will operate like that if you wish. Or add stokerlog and have endless info regarding your cook.

The other big plus I have seen with the stoker is that it is upgradeable. Someone that bought a stoker 3 years ago has (if they choose to upgrade for free) the same unit and features that is shipped today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The other big plus I have seen with the stoker is that it is upgradeable. Someone that bought a stoker 3 years ago has (if they choose to upgrade for free) the same unit and features that is shipped today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kind of on that note the Stoker is also expandable. The Stoker from what I have read and seen is expandable to multi pits and meat probes whereas the DigiQ is only one pit one meat. (correct me if I'm wrong please). So that could also be a deciding factor for some.

While the Digi-Q II is not expandable but the Cyber Q II has the ability to run 2 pits, run them remotely provided it is hooked up to a pc that is connected to the internet.

The Digi-Q II is the ideal tool for someone looking to control one pit with simplicity and doesn’t really care about being hooked up to a computer or desire remote monitoring/control. Its basically set it and forget it smoking.

The interesting thing for me is since I upgraded from the Digi-Q II to the Cyber-Q II a couple ago and I still have only used the Cyber-Q II it as a stand alone unit. I haven't had the opportunity to really use the additional features the CyberQ II but am looking forward to trying the remote features in the near future.

Both have their points but both have their limitations as well. I bought a new Guru CyberQ-II and used it two times and sold it to another Q cooker. There was nothing wrong with it; it just would not do without great effort what I wanted.

The CyberQ technically “can” be run wirelessly but they recommend on their site having two computers and a router to do that task, (Read the Online Manual). It for me seemed to be more stuff than I wanted to hook-up to do that task, and seems to me to be way more than I wanted to drag to a comp. That’s why I sold it and went with the Stoker, it had nothing to do with the quality of the Guru unit, it did its job running the pit great. The Guru’s are in my opinion a much more “User” friendly devices; you can be much less computer savvy and use the Guru’s just fine.

The Stoker will do what I wanted that’s why I bought it, it will run a Pit-Stoker-Computer setup with much less equipment than the CyberQ requires, but it was built for those with much more computer time under their belts and is a much less of a plug & play unit that the Guru’s are. I haven’t cooked with it yet so I can’t talk about its pit management skills. If you understand terms like I.P. Address and Subnet you will more than likely be just fine, but if you’re like me and need a little help in that area, you need to read and learn these things first or you’ll have problems.

They both will run a pit, they both will give you temperature control that is almost impossible to do manually. But they do it in different ways. I have been thought the buy it an sale it later route and like most things I lost money in the process. If you are looking at these units take time to read all the info you can before you buy to determine which unit will closest match what you want, go to the websites and download their Owners Manuals and read them first. Just my 2 cents, it’s free so take it for what it’s worth.

I have used all their products for years for catering and comps their customer service has been outstanding.this is one of the main reasons I carry there line of products.

There are no real issues with the Stoker other than customer service. The main issues are people who are not computer savvy trying to set up a wireless connection to it.

To run a CyberQ II over a wireless network you need 3 devices:

1)A computer connected to it via USB running remote software that is connected to a network.
2)A router.
3)Another computer connected to the same wireless network which connects to the computer that is tethered to the computer connected to the CyberQII

In contrast, the Stoker only requires a wireless router (or bridge) and 1 wireless computer.

Some of the other advantages of the Stoker:
- It costs less
- You can control more than 2 pits
- You can have as many food probes as you want (CyberQ only has 1 food probe per pit)
- Amir's awesome software which not only allows you to control the device but track the temperature of the entire cooking process.

In short, Stoker is a superior.

-rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
There are no real issues with the Stoker other than customer service. The main issues are people who are not computer savvy trying to set up a wireless connection to it.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems to me that's a pretty big issue when people can't even get product delivered in a timely fashion and get strung along for weeks. Technical stuff isn't a problem for me - I probably wrote some of the software you're using to read this post - but who needs to keep calling somebody for weeks who has already charged your credit card but can't be bothered to send you product?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In short, Stoker is a superior. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to connect to a computer and control multiple cookers.

Back