Stoker System WSM 18" - is it worth it?

Steve_Williams

TVWBB Fan
Ok sorry another newbie question. I love gadgets too but 350 to 400 plus for this Stoker? That's more than I spent on th WSM.

Help me with th why please?

An ATC(Stoker or Guru) is not a necessity for the WSM. Many do great BBQ without one.

Why would you want one?
- to have a "set it and forget it" when bbq'ing overnight.
- to start some spareribs at 10:00, go shopping for a few hours and come back to dinner.
- to connect multiple cookers and be sure that the temperatures are "right on".

Stoker/Guru owners feel free to add on.

First I'd like to say an ATC is not necessary when using your WSM, I've done many long cooks on my WSM prior to getting my Stoker with great results.

In addition to what Russell wrote, Stokerlog on the Stoker rocks! Being able to view a graph of your cooks is very cool. Also, the ability to not only monitor your cook remotely the ability to adjust the temperature remotely is very cool too.

I've had an ATC since day one with my 22.5 WSM. The overnight smokes are a breeze. Most ATC's are adaptive, so if your charcoal is burning a little hotter or cooler, they adjust the amount of airflow accordingly.

I just recently got the Stoker (upgraded from an Auber ATC) it really is spectacular when you can monitor your WSM and even change temps from a computer in your house (or, if set up properly, anywhere via the Internet.)

As mentioned earlier, Stokerlog is awesome...you can see a graph of the pit temp, food temp, and when the fan was on or off.

The big question - is it worth it? IMO the Stoker is probably overkill for the average backyard cook. It has some really cool features, and makes your temps very stable. However, as many have pointed out, the temps really only have to be within a reasonable range to be effective. Many, many, MANY WSM owners find the smoker very easy to regulate and maintain temps without a lot of fiddling with vents. Also, there are other brands that are far cheaper than the $400+ the Stoker will set you back, so if you don't want all the bells and whistles but you want your temps regulated, you could go that way as well (my Auber was around $140 if I recall.)

I'm somewhat of a techie at heart, so I love having a "dashboard" and the graphs and the constant feedback of the smoke. A group of friends and I also plan to enter a few friendly BBQ contests this summer, so I went ahead and popped for the Stoker. To each his own...

Thanks for your replies. I appreciated the honest answers you all gave. WSM does a great job of maintaining cook temps.

I guess as I want to cook more quantity or cook unattended a ATC system is a great tool. I look forward to having that issue.

I guess I could get a Auber as a starter system.

Yes, they're worth it. No, I wouldn't recommend an ATC straight out of the box. IMNSHO, you need to get to know your equipment first without relying on an external control so that when it fails you are not dead in the water. My recommendation is you get a good pit+food probe (maverick) and a good instant read thermometer. Once you have a good feel for how the thing behaves and can make it through several cooks without a lot of adjustments and know how to anticipate the smoker's direction, etc, then it's time to get an ATC.

What you buy with an ATC is time. You'll hover over it the first time or two watching it work, but pretty quickly you will realize you can take care of all your honey-dos, yard work, watching the game, whatever with almost no thought of the smoker because it's autonomous. And, more importantly, those overnight cooks are no longer sleepless. Not even restless.

My only regret is not having one that charts the temp for me. I discounted the need for that, and it certainly isn't a necessity. But there's a lot of good that could come from knowing the temp performance of the thing throughout the cook and now that I'm long into my use of the ATC, I wish I had it.

I've done what I consider really good BBQ with a gasser and a few smoke bags so was the WSM really worth it? For me, and for the next step, yes.

Do you need an atc to make good BBQ, not at all.

Per the above, set it and forget is great if you want or need it. I don't need it but I wanted it and it's been great. That said, knowing how to work the WSM without an atc is invaluable. It's a convenience for those that don't compete but worth the $300 for those that like gizmos.

Enjoy !

My bbq so far turns out better without a stoker . . . so far but I'm still getting used to it.

I only use it on overnight cooks, not for ribs/short cooks.

I like technology so it's more of a toy for me but it is great monitoring your pit/meat from inside or even when you're away from the house.

If you do a lot of overnight cooks it's probably worth it.

I'm with Scott, I'm into the tech toys as well. Does it make my BBQ better... No. Does it make it easier for me to sleep at night durink long cooks, absolutely. Hopefully, I'll find a good CL score and run multiple pits.

To throw in my 2 cents ....

If you smoke in the winter time, in windy conditions, rain, snow, then a Stoker will help regulate the airflow to make sure you run at a consistent temperature.

StokerLog will also help you spot when you're nearly out of fuel !

In terms of being more tasty, I've realised that (with ribs at least) cooking them at a steady 225F did not produce as tasty a rib as when I cooked it freestyle (no Stoker). I concluded that it was the temperature rise and fall around 225F that was doing it.

So when I change the set temperature to higher for a while then lower down to 225F, I found my ribs turn out better. So my last iteration was to cook my ribs at 275F and I got the most awesome ribs ever ...

Back