Stoker has IP address, can't log into it? (Apple hardware)

Joe - You are awesome.

I now have access in an outside my network to my Stoker, and I have it Twittering again.

Last favor - All of this is based upon the 10.0.1.36 address it currently has. Can you help me figure out how to keep this static, so that the Airport(s) don't reassign this next time I shut down?

I owe you a cold one or 3.

All kinds of instructions on how to get a mac or pc to have a static IP address by setting it from the machine, but not seeing how I do this in Airport utility for a device like a Stoker.

Last favor - All of this is based upon the 10.0.1.36 address it currently has. Can you help me figure out how to keep this static, so that the Airport(s) don't reassign this next time I shut down?

You can do that in the Stoker, by setting it to a static address rather than a DHCP request. If you do that, use an address that's outside of the DHCP range of the router (Airport Extreme). See the DHCP tab of the Internet page in Airport Utility.

Or you can do a DHCP reservation for the device in that same page of the Airport Extreme. Either way works.

joe

Originally posted by Stan:
All kinds of instructions on how to get a mac or pc to have a static IP address by setting it from the machine, but not seeing how I do this in Airport utility for a device like a Stoker.

Let me clarify. In the Stoker's menu system, you can set it to a static address. It's a pain to do, but it's possible. Instructions are in the Stoker menu. If you do that, you also need to make sure the static address is not in the range of addresses your Extreme will give out for DHCP (dynamic) requests. I'd use 10.0.1.201 or something like that.

OR you can leave the Stoker in DHCP (Dynamic) mode, and force the Extreme to always give it the same address. You do that by assigning a DHCP reservation to the Stoker's MAC address, which is done in the DHCP tab of the Internet page in Airport Utility.

joe

I posted this in another thread- maybe too basic for you, but I have my Airport Extreme serving a static IP to the Stoker.

"I just got my Stoker and had some issues setting up a static IP address, the stoker wouldn't seem to save the Subnet Mask, Gateway etc. I'm using it with a wireless bridge (not an Airport Express but a Linksys running DD-WRT, but my router is an Airport Extreme). I used the the Airport Extreme's DHCP server to always give the Stoker the same IP address. To do this you need the MAC address of the Stoker- assuming you're using a mac, open the Airport Utility application on the mac, go to Advanced and click Logs and look at the DHCP clients and then try to figure out the MAC address of the Stoker- probably just by turning on the Stoker and seeing what IP shows up. Then in Airport Utility go to Internet and click on the DHCP tab- there you can add a DHCP reservation using the Stoker's MAC address (+ button below the window). I gave it an IP address near the end (give the IP address one less than the DHCP ending address in Airport Utility). Now whenever the Stoker is turned on it will be given the same IP address and you can just enter that IP in your browser or set it as a bookmark. If your Stoker is not connecting- try changing the first 3 digits of the IP address on the Stoker box to 255- it should then request an IP address when you reboot the Stoker. I'm still playing with mine, so this may be basic stuff to some."

Ano - Thanks. I'm actually all up and running now. I decided to go with the reserved ip address for the Stoker to keep from having to figure out how to make it static, and then change the various places I would have had to designate the new address.

I'm not online and visible from anywhere, and also tweeting away. So happy.

I just downloaded v.4 of StokerX (my machine is on Snow Leopard).

I have my Stoker connected to my intranet and I can bring up the Stoker control panel in a Safari browser window. However, when I type the same url into Stokerx, it cannot connect.

I have tried the following syntax in the Stokerx preferences pane, and then exited and re-opened Stokerx:

10.0.1.27 (the ip address for my Stoker, which works in Safari)

http://10.0.1.27/

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help, and for StokerX!

Mark

Originally posted by Mark P.:
I just downloaded v.4 of StokerX (my machine is on Snow Leopard).

I have my Stoker connected to my intranet and I can bring up the Stoker control panel in a Safari browser window. However, when I type the same url into Stokerx, it cannot connect.

I have tried the following syntax in the Stokerx preferences pane, and then exited and re-opened Stokerx:

10.0.1.27 (the ip address for my Stoker, which works in Safari)

http://10.0.1.27/

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help, and for StokerX!

Mark

It's not a browser - put in just the IP address, not the URL.

You want "10.0.1.27" in the box.

joe

Thanks for the response, Joe!

I have tried using 10.0.1.27, and it never gets beyond "Attempting connection to 10.0.1.27", and gives me a connection error message when I type "start" after waiting for a while for the connection.

Mark

Originally posted by Mark P.:
Thanks for the response, Joe!

I have tried using 10.0.1.27, and it never gets beyond "Attempting connection to 10.0.1.27", and gives me a connection error message when I type "start" after waiting for a while for the connection.

Mark

Hmm. First, start up Console.app and post the log messages from StokerX. Then, open up Terminal.app and do "telnet 10.0.1.27" and post the results for that as well.

joe

Thanks for the help...

From console I get the following
11-06-26 1:26:17 PM StokerX[62069] Stoker: JSON NSURLConnection didFailWithError: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1005 UserInfo=0x17ab30 "The network connection was lost." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=-1005 UserInfo=0x17b8a0 "The network connection was lost.")

From Terminal, I get the following...

Trying 10.0.1.27...
Connected to 10.0.1.27.
Escape character is '^]'.

Welcome to slush. (Version 1.16)

tini0xxxx login:

Interesting. What's the network configuration between your computer and the Stoker? Router, hubs, bridges, etc? What are the IP addresses of the computer and the router? The Stoker is 10.0.1.27, it says.

You say this works accessing the normal pages from your browser? Does your browser have a proxy server enabled?

joe

I have a combo modem/router from my isp, which has the router portion disabled. Ethernet cable connects the modem to my Airport Extreme router (10.0.1.1) to which an Airport Express (10.0.1.17) is wirelessly connected in bridge mode (WDS). My Stoker (10.0.1.27) is connected by an ethernet cable to the Express. I have a couple of other Airport Express units doing printer and stereo duty.

No proxies are set up.

My isp recently changed my modem from an older more straightforward modem to this combo unit, in which as I mentioned I asked them to disable the wireless router portion. Since getting this new unit I have not been able to connect to my Stoker over the internet (local access only). I have been working with my isp to diagnose this, but so far not they have not been too helpful.

Mark

Just for grins, would it be possible to swap the Express unit you're using for the Stoker for a different one? Like the one for the printer?

Are you getting any data from the Stoker at all? Is the table filling in with the probe data? It should do that before you tell it to start logging. Also, do you have data capture set to Telnet mode or http/JSON mode?

joe

Back