Stoker, DigiQ or CyberQ Help Please

d kyser

I would love to go with one of these advanced controls but have no clue about them.

My first question is can they be installed on my Webber SMS with out a lot of mods? I mean having to drill new holes etc. I do not see any installation instructions for the fan.

Also what are the differences of these in plain terms.

I do love both BBQ and Computers and have a home network but the basic things I want is a dependable way of monitoring the smoker temp and meat temp, controlling the temp would be a great bonus.

Any advice, especially on installation of the blower and also how quick can you get them, would love one for Turkey day.
icon_smile.gif

The Stoker fan is mounted in an adapter that looks like a stainless steel dog water bowl: http://rocksbarbque.com/product.gc?ID=16

It mounts on one of the three vents in the charcoal bowl, and does not require drilling any holes. A bolt fits through one of the existing vent holes from the inside, then goes through the adapter, and is secured with a wing nut on the outside. The adapter covers the entire vent (and you leave the other two vents closed). The fan then blows air through the two remaining openings in the vent into which it is mounted.

The Guru blowers mount differently but I believe that they, too, require no additional holes to be drilled.

The Guru mount actually requires drilling a new hole for a WSM. That said, it looks better than the "dog bowl" assembly but you can easily mount a Stoker on a Guru mount which is what I have done.

I actually have both devices and run a KCBS/NEBS team on the contest circuit. We do maybe 8 contests each year. My Guru was retired from service (it's a backup) for 2 years. I'm also in the IT field (15 years and a CCNA/.NET Programmer)

We've discussed the features of both devices here at length and in other threads and for the most part the far superior device is the stoker for the following reasons:

1) You can monitor more than 1 piece of meat temp.
2) You can control more than 2 different pits
3) Stoker is cheaper
4) Amir's awesome monitoring/control software if FREE! Plus there is other software available.

5) In order to monitor your smoker on a wireless network with a CyberQII requires 1 computer tethered to the Guru on a USB cable running remote software and yet another wireless computer connected to that computer using something like PCAnywhere or whatnot. The Stoker and StokerLog requires only one computer and a wireless game point or router.

The discussion thread of CyberQ vs Stoker is here:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...103/m/2780050295/p/1

For the most part, if you have any question about setting up the stoker on a wireless network you can find the answers here. We're all here to help.

-rob

Rob, thanks so much for the links, great information.

A couple more questions that I could not find answers to.
1st,
are both units readily available, or is one harder to get then the other.
2nd,
Does one unit work better than others in low temps?
I live in NW Pa and do almost all my smoking Nov-May, many nights the temp will be below freezing but WSM will be on the porch with good wind blocking 4' high, and a roof, yet still great air circulation to take care of the smoke.
Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
The Guru mount actually requires drilling a new hole for a WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't require a hole to be drilled, it just looks way better that way. And it makes it where you can still use ALL your vents if you want to cook without a 'power draft'. The adapter is made to fit over one of the vent holes.

All my WSMs (and my kettles) have holes drilled for Guru addapters (but I'm using a Stoker now).

I've had a Stoker for about a month now, and I really like it.

My main reason for getting a draft controller was to have remote monitoring and control; the temp stability is secondary in importance to me.

With that in mind, the Stoker is the obvious choice. It took about 15 minutes from getting the Stoker out of the box to having it connected to my home network, and about another 10 minutes to have it on the internet (and my 3G phone).

Having to connect a Guru via usb, and the problems with finding a usb hub that works, that broadcasts far enough, etc. must be a significant enough problem using the Guru that very few owners seem to have their DigiQ's broadcasting remotely, even in their home network. For me, it is not reasonable to have a pc outside, or have a cable running into the house.

I keep my Stoker and all the associated equipment in a tupperware container so that it is protected from the elements. If your draft controller could get wet in a rain or snow, you will need to protect it somehow. This is another handy feature about the Stoker. I use a computer or web-phone for 100% of the viewing and control of the Stoker. There is no need to have a display available on the front of the unit to be able to read the temps.

4091535834_852e284d2e_o.jpg

If your bbq will be protected from the elements and if temp stability is your primary concern, then the Guru NanoQ might be a good choice. For any monitoring or control, or getting it away from the elements, the Stoker is without direct competition.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A couple more questions that I could not find answers to.
1st,
are both units readily available, or is one harder to get then the other.
2nd,
Does one unit work better than others in low temps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Both units are available. I even thought I saw a used unit available on Ray Basso's Board. (BBQ Forum) It was selling with a smoker but he was willing to sell separate. That was some time ago though.
The Stoker DOES have a problem with customer service as it's pretty much run buy just 1 guy ~ Jon. Despite this, you will get your stuff if you call them and order. I ordered mine off the internet and received it in a week.

The Guru team has excellent customer service and can be reached by phone or email. They also run a BBQ team on the KCBS circuit.

2) I live in Northern Vermont and the only problem I had was with the wireless game adapter freezing. I have heard of Stokers not working because of extreme coldness but I believe that problem was solved by placing it on a heating pad.

The bottom line is that the Stoker is a far superior product and cheaper to boot. If you can stand the lack of customer service for ordering it you'll get a better product. As far as user support - You need no further look as far as this forum. There are programmers, network engineers, experienced cooks with tons of experience using this device. You'll get your questions answered sometimes within hours.

-rob

I too have been in the IT business for a long time. But am I the only one who doesn't care to graph my cooks and have my smoker connected to the network?
icon_smile.gif
I'm not saying those aren't valuable to some people, but I just want something I can set and forget. I know how long my cooks will take and I don't need remote graphs, alerts, etc.

I guess I like simplicity. Holy crap I'm getting old.

Anyway, you list the stoker as being required if your smoker is out in the elements. You can remote mount a Guru just as easily with the longer probes. You don't need to mount it directly to the blower.

I don't (currently) own either device. I used to own a first generation BBQ Guru Competitor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Jones:
I too have been in the IT business for a long time. But am I the only one who doesn't care to graph my cooks and have my smoker connected to the network?
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm not saying those aren't valuable to some people, but I just want something I can set and forget. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Stoker does that just as well. And makes it easier to "set" the temp as you can sit inside and not in the cold or rain, messing with temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know how long my cooks will take and I don't need remote graphs, alerts, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I guess this is like a PVR. Until one experiences being able to pause and record live video, the benefits don't seem that great. But once you do, it is hard to go back.

It is incredible how fast you learn the true operation of your smoker when you play with the damper and see its effect over time, reducing fuel, increasing temp stability, etc.

You also have a great tool to share with people how your cook went.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess I like simplicity. Holy crap I'm getting old. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Again, the simplicity is there just the same. We talk about all the other stuff because it gives us additional capabilities but if you want simple, you will get simple.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway, you list the stoker as being required if your smoker is out in the elements. You can remote mount a Guru just as easily with the longer probes. You don't need to mount it directly to the blower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can control my stoker sitting in our living room, watching TV, and typing this message. Most people would take a dim view of running wires into their living room!
icon_smile.gif

I think once you experience a stoker, you realize that it takes the experience to another level. But again, it is something best experienced than explained in words.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Jones:
I'm not saying those aren't valuable to some people, but I just want something I can set and forget. I know how long my cooks will take and I don't need remote graphs, alerts, etc.

Anyway, you list the stoker as being required if your smoker is out in the elements. You can remote mount a Guru just as easily with the longer probes. You don't need to mount it directly to the blower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Ed - I agree with much of what you say. I have no problem understanding the grill-meister who likes to tend to the pit regularly. At the same time, Amir is right that once you start logging cooks, it's amazing how much you can get out of it. I never thought I would use StokerLog when I got my Stoker, but it turns out that it's something I really like and use. It is great for keeping notes on cooks. I keep a file with a photo of the finished food and a screenshot of StokerLog at the end, and it is an amazing amount of information in 2 pictures.

Anyway, to your point about the Stoker and the elements. I was just saying that if you want to monitor the pit/food during the cook, you must be able to view the front panel of the Guru. This places limitations on how to weather protect a Guru while keeping easy access to viewing, whereas the Stoker has no requirement for viewing the unit to get the desired information. As I said in my earlier post, if temperature stability, and not the feedback is of more importance, a Guru NanoQ is probably the best (i.e. cheapest) bet.

Mark

Back