Stoker blower/probe interaction issue

I've been looking at the Linksys wireless bridge, but my home wireless router uses WPA encryption. Everything I keep reading shows the wireless bridge has WEP encryption.

Will this work for me?

Hi Steve, I just checked my bridge and it does only support WEP. However, for me this is not an issue as I use MAC filtering, this gives me greater control over who can access, when and what . . . SO has a 17 year old son.

Originally posted by Steve Story:
I've been looking at the Linksys wireless bridge, but my home wireless router uses WPA encryption. Everything I keep reading shows the wireless bridge has WEP encryption.

Will this work for me?

Your router should also support WEP. However, Larry's option is a good idea. MAC address filtering gives your network the best protection from intrusion, but it is not encrypted. So don't be working on top military secrets on your laptop and you're also taking a minimal risk that someone in the neighborhood might be smart enough to intercept your WIFI transmission and gain access to your bank account, that is, if you happen to log into it wirelessly. I think your odds of winning the lotto are about the same. You just add the mac address for each device that uses your wireless connection, it will reject everything else. My router sees only the stoker's MAC address and not the bridge.

Originally posted by Steve Story:
Looks like this one might work
LINKSYS WET54G 54Mbps Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge

Yep, that one will work. All new bridges will support WPA, and most of the old ones that didn't have it can be upgraded by firware to now support it. I use the DLink 2100AP which by default is an access point but will work in the bridge mode and supports both versions of WPA. BTW it's a 54g but will also connect to a b. D-link makes a couple more and Linksys does a few more. Lots to choose from.

Thanks Ken.

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions once I get one in. Stay tuned....
icon_smile.gif

Back