Stoker Black Box Setup Problems

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I just used my new Stoker Black Box yesterday for a rib cook and it worked great. Today I decided to try and play around with the Ethernet Connection Setup (P.22). Did everything as required:

Plugged the Stoker into my router to get the IP address. Address was supplied.

Tried to access the Stoker using the supplied IP address and could not connect (browser could not find the address).

Checked the IP address in the Stoker menu and it was still there.

Does anyone know if I'm missing something?

I'm no expert but I've had better luck assigning a static ip address to the stoker in your router and then fixing it in the stoker. I hope this helps.

Both methods should work. If it doesn't, it is a bug that should be reported to them.

Static IP is nice because it never changes so that you can bookmark it in your browser/stokerlog. But otherwise, it should work the same.

Shot in the dark here, but did you disable the wifi when you plugged in the Ethernet? Do we know if the web server service will listen on both connections at the same time? Good luck and I am curious to see how this gets resolved as I am planning on purchasing a stoker soon. Thanks.

No luck. Perhaps I'm missing something so here goes:

DHCP Attempt - Plugged the Stoker via ethernet cable into my router (WRT54G) and received an IP. Plugged the stoker into my laptop, enterred that IP into IE and did not find the page.

Static Attempt - Set a static IP in the Stoker above my Network IP. Connected the Stoker to my laptop, entered the static IP, same problem. Did an IPCONFIG and it showed the ethernet static IP correctly. Pinged the static IP and it showed 4 attempts passed.

Now, I'm not an expert with networks so the Subnet, Gateway and DNS don't mean much to me. IPCONFIG shows the subnet as 255.255.0.0 so I set the Stoker to that. IPCONFIG does not show gateway or DNS so I don't know what to do there (both are 000.000.000.000 now).

I wouldn't think I would have had to go this deep.

Anyone see glaring issues? If not, am I best to contact Rock's tomorrow and get their input?

Thanks,

JDH

So I just went back to DHCP. Plugged the Stoker into the router and received a new IP.
Typed this into my wireless laptop and, TADA !, it brought me to the Stoker page. I also tried Stokerlog and it worked as well.

This is a good thing.

Next question. If I can reach the Stoker through my router from my laptop wirelessly, why can't I reach it when I plug the Stoker directly into my laptop via ethernet? This does not work.

What am I missing?

Oh, I thought it was a typo when you said you plugged the stoker into your laptop. If you want to do that, you need to set up your PC the right way and the stoker.

To use DHCP while connected directly to the PC you need to set up Internet Connection Sharing. You can't plug it into the router and then hook it up to the PC. That won't work.

For now, stay with what is working. Next step from that is to give the stoker a static IP address but leave it connected to the router. You can then connect to it using your current wireless connection to the router.

OK. I'm assuming all of this will become unneccessary once the WIFI software becomes available.

I'm not sure I see value in having to plug the Stoker into the router since my router (and all associated wiring and connections) is in my basement and my cooking is done outside.

To utilize this setup I would require a VERY long ethernet cable running from the Stoker / smoker outside to the router inside.

Again, I may be missing something.

Thanks,

JDH

When you plug your stoker directly into your PC use a crossover cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-C...-Cable/dp/B000067RFT

Till wi-fi is enabled you can place your wi-fi router (or an old one) outside near your cooking area plug the stoker into one of the 4 ports and connect to your wireless router with your PC or iPhone, enter the IP in your browser and you're all set.

You won't have internet access but you can monitor your cook.

18.5" WSM | Stoker Wi-Fi

Back