Stoker - are they in business ???

I would wager that there are at least one or two high school students who are not drug problems who could help Rocks out. Of course, it requires staying on top of the student to be sure... not a talent that John has demonstrated. Oh well. Whatever he does, I hope John figures it out! He has a great product and it would be a shame if it was lost to someone else who had more biz savvy.

Originally posted by Amir:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r tapia:
I would think that they could hire a high school kid to come in for 2-3 hours twice a week and package/ship the units. I would think that would be worth $50/week.

Note: I did NOT stay in a Holiday Inn last night.
I once had an electronics consumer device business same size and scope of Rock's. As you suggested, we did hire a high-school kid to help us. My partner's mother was a principal at a school and they had a program where they would take straight "A" students and find them part-time job.

We interviewed one of the kids and he seemed like an ideal employee. He learned everything fast and really helped us improve throughput in addition to answering the phone and such.

A couple of months goes by and I get a call from my partner (he ran the office). He tells me he just found out someone had been forging our checks and taking money out of bank account!

Well, the story got better. My partner grilled the kid and he confesses that he has a drug problem and was buying the goods at our store, and forging checks to pay for it!

Wait, the story gets even better. He says that he told the drug dealer that he was buying the drugs for us and hence the reason he was using company checks!

We call his father and he tells us that the kid had a serious drug problem and they had moved to our area just to get away from it!

Needless to say, we let the kid go and went back to doing everything ourself. And boy, was it a lot of work, seeing how I had my "day job" in addition to designing and manufacturing the goods.

It sure is a pain to run a small business and rely on help like this... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really I hear what you're saying. My real job is with the federal gov't and is entrepreneurially focused. That said, I also do part time work for a small business in my local area and we employ young high school kids. You CAN find good part time help. Heck, I myself worked all through high school and I wasn't a pothead. So I'm not too sympathetic about the "good help is hard to find" issue. John has a great product, period. So does his competitor. If his wife had not stepped up and called me to apprise me of my order status (and big thanks to her BTW), I might've just cancelled my $220 order and bought a complete unit from Guru. So John, if you're reading, I really enjoy using your product. Please get a min wage employee to help you keep the trains running. At around $7.00 per hour, you'd have paid for around a week's worth of help, which would've paid for my potential lost order alone.

I love the Stoker but am getting really annoyed by the customer service. I received my stoker around 9/15/08, two probes were back ordered. The initial order was received quickly and i spoke to John who was very helpful at the time.

Well it's 9/21/09 and I haven't received the BO probes, although I was charged for them.

I've tried calling, faxing, emailing. No response.

He may be a nice guy, and may give you great service when he decides to respond but... Come on a year, that's just **** poor.

Ahh. Called again today. Got him on the phone this time and was told he will ship the probes out, should have them in a few days. I'll believe it when I see it, but I guess better (1 year) late than never huh?

I think I hit the jackpot on my last order.

I placed it, and the probes were in my mailbox 3 days later - I never had to call or anything.

Of course, I was ordering them because I wanted them for thanksgiving so I wanted to give him a 9 week window :P

I think their new shopping cart system might help speed things up, and I might have happened to place the order on a day someone was feeling motivated.

There are definitely improvements on the website. I send an email yesterday about ordering and international shipping ( to The Netherlands ) got a reply this morning with the promise that he would fix it. Later today it was fixed and I could order. Cannot wait for the Stoker to arrive
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I have been trying to get a hold of him for a week. I hope he is still alive and well, and his business is still up and running.

I have left a few voice mails and no return calls.

I need to order another clamp to hold the pit probe (I lost mine). Does anyone know another place I can buy one? I still have the pit probe, but I lost the little clamp thing that holds it.

Also, I need to download the latest firmware so I can get my Stoker on Twitter. All I am getting is page cannot be displayed on the firmware downloads section of their website. Can someone post it for me to download please?

Originally posted by Ray S:
I have been trying to get a hold of him for a week. I hope he is still alive and well, and his business is still up and running.

I have left a few voice mails and no return calls.

I need to order another clamp to hold the pit probe (I lost mine). Does anyone know another place I can buy one? I still have the pit probe, but I lost the little clamp thing that holds it.

Also, I need to download the latest firmware so I can get my Stoker on Twitter. All I am getting is page cannot be displayed on the firmware downloads section of their website. Can someone post it for me to download please?

he was alive and well when I finally got through to him about two hours ago. Now may be a good time to try and call.

As for the clamp replacement, I seem to remember someone saying they use a potato as a pit probe holder. Anyone that knows the details on this technique feel free to chime in.

Yeah, I have been using a potato in the mean time. The potato isn't quite as accurate as the clamp though. Probably because the potato has to be heated up so it makes the probe read a cooler temperature until the potato gets up to temp- and on the flipside the potato gets hot so it makes the probe read a hotter temperature when the air is really cooling down.

Dang, I wonder why I can't get a hold of him? I left another voice mail today, and emailed him today too- no response to either of them.

You just have to get him on the phone. Emails and messages get lost in the shuffle.Just remember pacific time zone. My best luck is when I call him in the morning

Get yourself a bottle of wine (one with a real cork). Drink the wine
icon_smile.gif
, drill a hole in the cork and stick the probe thru the hole and wedge the cork in the grate.

Steve

Back