Stogie Rib Foil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Lynch

TVWBB Member
Stogie-

Have a few questions about one of your recent posts regarding your grad party cook. Can u give an accurate estimation the portion of pineapple juice you used to thin out the commercial sauce you used. I'd also be curious to how much pepper, and cayenne pepper you added for your hot batch.

Also, you mentioned in another recent post that you like to lay your foiled ribs flat to simmer in the juices. How do you accomplish this when smoking large numbers of slabs of ribs? Also, I think you mention when using your rib rack that you stack several slabs of ribs on top of the rack. Is this correct? Is it ok to have ribs stacked flat on top of one another when they cook?
Thanks in advance for your insight!

KLynch, welcome!

I don't measure anything when doctoring sauces so not much help with specifics. The consistency was slightly looser than ketchup. This really came down to personal preference....I added enough to make it "look" right. I wanted it thin enough to apply and not so thin that it didn't stick to the meat.

As for hot...that again is personal preference. I use the super hot...160,000 SVU....cayenne, so any quantities will be worthless when compared to store-bought cayenne. I just added enough until it was hot enough for me. I am a devout chili-head, so, hot to me is waaaay too hot for most..especially the general public. But when someone asks me to prepare a hot sauce, I pour it on!

Sorry for not being more specific! I view BBQ as an art, not a science, hence, what works for me may not work for you.

As far as the ribs themselves.....Once you foil the ribs, you can pile them on top of each other so rib racks are no longer needed.

Theoretically, the ends of the bones of the ribs in the rack will support the ribs on top of the rack. Realistically, there is some "drooping" and often the ones on top overlap the ones in the racks. This is not good, but rotating them around will even things out.

Curious thing....I would never dream of stacking ribs atop each other while smoking...smoke would only get to the outer slabs, plus it would take much longer to cook...much thicker stack of meat. However, when it comes to foiling them after 3 hours, stacking seems to work just fine.

The important thing....you need them to lie flat once they are foiled.....simmering in their own juice is part of the process.

Again, K Lynch, sorry to be so vague, but some experimenting on your part will bring perfection in no time!

Good luck and post with any other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back