Still more accolades for BRITU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
After a most successful chicken cook last week, here I am, joining the long line of BRITU enthusiasts. I had a great experience cooking them, even though my temps were about 20-25 degrees higher than I'd planned and I couldn't get them down, even with everything closed. When I took the ribs off the cooker, the slab split in half, they were soooooo tender and moist! Not a crumb left.

It was hard, but I did go quite light with the rub, and the salt ratio was fine. This keeps the ribs from being overpowered with the spices and allows the wonderful meaty rib flavor to shine through. If I ever want a more spicy flavor, I'll switch from table salt to the same volume of kosher salt or increase the spices in the original recipe a bit. But I'd be hard put to change anything -- can't argue with perfection!

Thanks to Chris for his most excellent instructions on the site, to Jim Minion for his insightful and practical suggestions and solutions to many of the posted problems, and to all of you for your valuable comments in the various discussions. I'm learning a lot from you all and I'm having so much fun!

Rita

Rita,

I am one of those detractors of the Britu method or recipe. Maybe I need to try it again. I developed my own recipe and rub that I can apply heavier to give me a little more bark , really like it but still am working toward perfectiion!!

Next time I will try Britu again and do mine and compare.

If you want my recipe just email me.

Rita, I also am a fan of BRITU !! I put it on a butt last weekend after I had slathered it with mustard... It turned out AWESOME !! It was my first butt - didn't know any other good recipes, so I put the BRITU on it...
I'll bet it would also be very good on chicken - I may try that sometime...
Glad you are enjoying your WSM so much... I am too - just wish I could use it ore than I do !!
Have a good one !!

I too am a BRITU fan. The 3 slabs I did this week were perfect.
A while back I did Beer Butt Chickens rubbed with BRITU. They were very well flavored too.

Billy Gardner

I used BRITU on my first time out several months ago. I found it to be on the salty side, but I have found the same for many of the various rubs I have tried. My last batch of rub, I cut back the salt by 1/4 cup, and it came out much more to my liking. I guess we all have differnt tastes!

I think I'll try it again, and make the salt to sugar ratio 3:4 and see if I find it better (for my tastes).

Ken

Got it Jeff - I think I may try your rub on a butt this weekend... I am doing 2 - may do the all nighter tomorrow night... You ever used it on a butt ?
Thanks,

Ken
If you are finding that the end product is too salty rather than cutting down on the salt cut back on the amount of rub you are putting on the meat. The salt in the rub is needed transfer the flavors into the outside layer of the meat.
if you go with more sugar it will offset the salt but it will also increase the chances of a situation where you can burn the rub, sugar burns easier than any other compotent of the rub. If you are going to increase sugar try using Turbinado sugar, it has a higher burn point than white does. Turbinado does have a brown sugar flavor.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Peabody:
[qb]I used BRITU on my first time out several months ago. I found it to be on the salty side, but I have found the same for many of the various rubs I have tried. My last batch of rub, I cut back the salt by 1/4 cup, and it came out much more to my liking. I guess we all have differnt tastes![/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not surprising. That particular rub has more salt (and more sugar) than all of the other ingredients combines. It is, for all intents and purposes a salt and sugar rub.

That's not necessary a bad thing, just a matter of how salty you want your rub to be.

My standard rub is similar but has a far lower concentration of salt, just a little bit of sugar, a much greater concentration of ancho chile from the chile powder, which gives it very distinctive ancho flavor that works well on pork and chicken.

There is a wide range of proportions that will work just fine. It's all about pleasing YOUR taste buds! If proportions were critical, there wouldn't be a little over eight gazillion bar-b-q rubs in the world.

Jim-

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep experimenting.

I have used Turbinado sugar in some rubs -- it works well.

Webb-

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really having fun experimenting.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back