StepDrill the way to go ? - to mount a thermo in WSM ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,

Now that I have made up my mind to buy a thermometer, I wish to ask if anyone has ever tried drilling into the metal of their hood to mount a thermometer with anything but a stepdrill ? At $40, probabally $65 in Canada, I can't see myself buying that drill for only one hole. Yuck.

Short of taking it to a shop to have it done, or doing the "stamping" technique has anyone tried using any other type of drill ? - say a drill for metal only but not a stepdrill ?

Just curious. if worse comes to worse I guess I will have no choice but to buy one, but boy, that drill can buy a ton of ribs /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mark.
riblover@PowerShotGraphics.com

I would once again point to the Thermo Mounting article on the website. Chris has detailed information with pictures and specifics on a slightly cheaper way to drill The WSM for a thermometer using a knockout punch tool.

Hi Doug,

oops, when I said "stamp out" technique, I has a brain malfunction, I meant the term you used "knockout punch" it is a sorot of a "stamping" technique of sorts, I couldn't remember the wording on it.

Anyway seems it will be the way I will have to go.

Mark.

I went with the step drill because I'm sure I'll use it again for many other tasks. Drilling through tubing and other sheet metal applications.

I don't mind paying a little extra for a tool if I know it will last and I can use the again. The Unibit is capable of drilling 12 different diameters. Kind of a handy thing to have around the house if you think you will ever use it again. Oh yea, and I saw Paul jr use one a few times on American Chopper! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I've been meaning to build a chopper for a while now... hehehe

Hi Mark,
First off take a deep breath and relax. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Smile and let your breath out.
Look if you want to pop a hole in your new WSM thats completely up to you. However the WSM will take care of it self without much fuss. I just use a good deep fry thermo placed through the top vent using the provided clip. I paid $14 US through Cabelas. I put my polder probe in the meat and run the cable under the lid. No muss no fuss. The WSM is so well constructed and easy to use you won't have any trouble producing the best Q in all Canada Eh?
The most important advice I can give is to relax and HAVE FUN!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif You can do it.

I agree with Mike!

Why cut a hole in the thing and spend all that money? Besides, you are then "married" to that thermo for life. What if you don't like it? or you can't find a replacement that fits in the hole?

I have used the Polder type for over 6 years now and simply place the probe wire under the lid. Never, ever had one quit because of this. My wires are so twisted and kinked I sometimes wonder how they keep working..but they do.

It's your choice, but in my mind, totally unnecessary.

You aren't tied a specific thermometer. Most of the thermometers used for this purpose have a standard 1/2 inch thread. So, when you want o switch from your Trend to a Tel-Tru, or some other brand - not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back