Steel Grate for Weber Q

Josh G

TVWBB Fan
I love my cast iron grate but it is heavy and I was wondering if anyone knew of a lighter replacement steel grate for taking it on the road or tailgating occasionally.

Hi Josh

The grate for the Q has special design features that assist in the overall cooking. The first thing that you will note is that it has a solid area that sits directly above the burner tubes this is specifically designed to absorb and direct heat to the rest of the grill. It also is designed to protect the burner tube from dripping fat and juices thus preventing flare-ups. You will note that the solid area slopes downward to prevent pooling. The distance between the grill bars was calculated to give the best seeing and allow the maximum amount of oxygen depleted air to pass through and cook the meat in-between the searing contact area.

Whilst you can swap the grills over on many different BBQs it is not the case with the Q series.

Cheers

Phil

I would really like ss grates for my Q320, just for ease or care. The standard cast iron grates aren't that difficult to care for, but SS would undoubtedly be easier. As Phil says though, the grates are a special design, and would be difficult to make. The ss grates on ebay are for the electric Q, and aren't really suitable for the gas versions.

-Mark.

The Cast Iron grate is one of my favorite features of our Q 120.

I would never consider switching it out for stainless.

I like it so much that when I cook on our 18.5" kettle, i put the Q's grate on top. It's a great fit.

Back