Steaks directly on Lump Charcoal

Tried it for the first time a few weeks ago...just like yourself i was a tad nervous, but it works a treat.

Check out the photo gallery, i posted a few pics under "caveman t-bones".

Just look at my avatar.
icon_biggrin.gif
It's a fun cook - nerve rattling, indeed, but fun.

I can't imagine that being more than a minute or so each side for a 2 inch steak.

Is that about right? I think inserting a probe would worthless as to monitoring progress or even getting a valid reading to even go on.

Would the temp change during rest be the same or would be wildly different because of the extreme heat?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Stanek:
I can't imagine that being more than a minute or so each side for a 2 inch steak.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>You might be surprised. You will get more heat off coals that have an air space to support combustion. The steak will tend to smother the coals and reduce temperature a bit. It's not as extreme as it might look.

I'm going to give it a shot. I don't think I'll try it with any super expensive prime cuts though. I think SAMs had great steaks for the money... at least in my neck of the woods.

For a 1.5 inch ribeye... about how long per side? Just a minute or so?

Never tried it directly on coals. But when I used to go camping we would grill them directly on a red hot log.
I have no idea of the time, just used the finger poke test.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Stanek:
For a 1.5 inch ribeye... about how long per side? Just a minute or so? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's been a while since I tried it, but I think SR said to flip when you see the juices pooling on the top of the steak. Then flip and wait for juices again and you're done. Keep something handy for the poke test, just for a backup.

i've done it, works great.

i've also totally screwed up and wasted a bunch of meat too
icon_frown.gif

make sure you:
1. use a hair dryer or air pump or something to blow ALL the ash off the top of the coals (and to stoke)
2. DRY the surface of the meat before putting it on the coals. THIS IS CRAZY IMPORTANT

For one or two steaks, it's do-able.
But after the 2nd, the coals get nasty and are too ashy and gunky for the 3rd steak.

Tried it last night for the first time. It was a little intimidating at first but once I did I thought to myself no big deal. It seems to take the same amount of time it takes to cook a steak on the grate.

Back