Steak

Ed Homan

On weber.com, recipes tab, under grilling guides/beef,theinstruction forcooking a 2inch steakcalls fora time on high heat, turning once,and time onindirect heat.

First, turn after half the stated time?

Second, move the meat away from direct heat?

Thanks...

It depends how done you like your steak. First you sear over the hottest part of the fire, then you move the steak away from that area to cook to your desired doness. I like my steak seared on the outside and pretty much raw in the middle - just warmed up inside. It's a Marine thing...

Yes that method is good,its referred to as the sear 'n slide. I personally prefer the sear in the rear a.k.a. reverse sear method.

You bring the steak up to temp on the indirect side and then place it on the direct heat just long enough to put a good sear on it. In my albeit limited experience the steak ends up much more tender. You can Google reverse sear for more information. There is actually some science that supports this method as being superior in the end its your taste buds that tell you which is best for you.

I also prefer a reverse sear. I let the steak come up to room temp if time allows then K salt until it sweats then season. Cook indirect until your up to 100-110 IT then direct for 2-3 min per side then indirect until your doneness is reached, I like med rare plus. Be sure to rest for 5 to 10 min before you cut.

KK has a good method that requires rotating the grate as to keep from over charring the meat. I do this method if only cooking a couple pieces of meat on the Weber.

Thanks Guys...Knew I was on a long road of learning, but didn't expect this. Just a burger and dogs griller with a rolled pork loin on the rotiserie a couple of times.

Think I'm gomma like this!

This works for me: I posted this in early January re a similar question. "Been working lately to perfect my strip steak grilling technique. You're never going to reproduce the steak you get at, say, Peter Lugers or even Ruth's Chris, but you can come reasonably close. Providing you have access to good beef. Here in Conn, Stew Leonards sell prime strips. They are typically cut about 1.5in thick and they leave some of the fat on. Yeah, this is where the flavor is. Before the cook, I put them on the counter, covered with black pepper and smoked sea salt, for up to 2 hours. This won't get the steaks to room temp by a long shot, but gets them up to about 50°. I prefer to cook over lump charcoal, but expediency sometimes requires gas. Over a hot charcoal fire, it is on 3 minutes over the coals, rotate 90° for another 3 mins, then flip over for 3 and 3 again. Then to an indirect side of the grill to finish off until the interior temp is about 120°. Then plate, put a slab of butter on, and cover with aluminum foil for 10 minutes or so. During the 10 mins, finish up frying your twice-fried fries. At this point you've got a pretty good medium rare steak, if you started with a good piece of beef. Don't shy from a well marbled piece of beef with a layer of fat on the side. Cheers" I don't know what the final temp is, only that removal at 120° with a 10 min soak under an aluminum foil tent results in a perfect medium rare for the steak described above.

Keep in mind that the reverse sear and even the sear and slide are methods used for thicker cuts of meat. if you are cooking a thin cut just sear it, turn it, sear it and its done. I have been salting my steaks, leaving them on the counter for a while to draw in the salt, then in the freezer for 20-30 minutes before going on the grill. The trip to the freezer is to dry the surface of the steak. This gives me a much better crust.

Back