Steak Marinade

I season but don't marinade my steaks. Happy Birthday to your wife! I hope you have an awesome evening :)

(I'm not trying to imply that you should not do a marinade; I just simply cannot offer input)

Following up on yesterdays marinade question! Everything turned out great! I like to change things up from time to time so that's why I turned to the interweb experts looking for marinade suggestions! And I really do appreciate everyone's input!! That being said, I agree that high grade beef cuts really only need salt, pepper and fire!! Sometimes the lesser cuts need a little boost, so thats what I did yesterday. The marinade I ended up using was Olive oil, low sodium soy, little dab of worcestershire , lemon juice and Grillmates Montreal Steak seasoning. It was a short 3 hour soak but the steaks were good and not overpowered by the marinade! I'd use that mix again!

The Conundrum Red wine recommendation from @Brett-EDH was spot on! Prefect balance between not to dry and not to sweet !!
It paired great with the steak, asparagus and baked potato!!

The objective was accomplished !! The wife was both surprised and pleased with her birthday dinner. ;)

Following up on yesterdays marinade question! Everything turned out great! I like to change things up from time to time so that's why I turned to the interweb experts looking for marinade suggestions! And I really do appreciate everyone's input!! That being said, I agree that high grade beef cuts really only need salt, pepper and fire!! Sometimes the lesser cuts need a little boost, so thats what I did yesterday. The marinade I ended up using was Olive oil, low sodium soy, little dab of worcestershire , lemon juice and Grillmates Montreal Steak seasoning. It was a short 3 hour soak but the steaks were good and not overpowered by the marinade! I'd use that mix again!

The Conundrum Red wine recommendation from @Brett-EDH was spot on! Prefect balance between not to dry and not to sweet !!
It paired great with the steak, asparagus and baked potato!!

The objective was accomplished !! The wife was both surprised and pleased with her birthday dinner. ;)

congrats. happy wife = happy life. well done, Dave. well done.

note, i know nothing about burbon. i can talk tequila though. that Conundrum drinks like a $50 bottle, without having to age it at all.

Last edited:
I can speak bourbon... my current top reco special occasion bourbon is Uncle Nearest 1884, 90 proof ish, pretty smooth drinking with a lot of cinnamon flavor that goes down smooth neat, or with a few rocks. It's around $50/bottle in the St. Louis MO area.. Uncle Nearest 1856 is also good but 100 proof. I prefer the 90 proof version, and it's cheaper. The 100 proof is good, but for me I need the ice, and the vanilla/cinamon/oak flavors are less pronounced.

I've tried several other whiskeys, but I'm far from an aficionado. I just know what I like, and like to compare notes. Makers Mark and/or Wild Turkey 101 are kind of my go to regular weekend brands...

Back