Start time for BOB

Chris Barnes

TVWBB Member
I'm cooking for a group of 20 this weekend for the "Smoke Day" and need some help on the start time. I'm doing a BOB with the Butts averaging 7 lbs. and the Brisket at 11 lbs.I haven't cooked for a large group before and I want to make sure that if the meat plateau's that I have enough time to have all meat resting in coolers. I will not have access to a oven if they take too long. Lunch time is scheduled for 2 p.m. With the brisket possibly taking 16-17hrs. I was planning putting the meat on at a 9:30 p.m. start time. I can always serve the pulled pork first if the brisket is delayed but I'd rather avoid drunk and rowdy in-laws. I will be in a somewhat rustic setting so I plan on taking plenty of coolers and towels to rest the meat.

Thanks-Chris

Partly; it will quite possibly take a bit longer to get temps up and where you want them. But, looking at your circumstances, I'd suggest the extra time to allow for any problems. Since you have coolers for resting a possible longer rest is not a problem. Since you have no oven (and possibly rowdy in-laws) you'll have no way to speed things up should you need to.

I did 8 lb butts over a 12 lb brisket this weekend. Put meat on about 8:30 pm using MM. Flat was ready about 12:30 or 1:00 and I removed the butts at 4:00. Butts were only at 180 but they passed the probe test. They had rendered nicely. The butts only got an hour rest before I chopped them.

These were run with the Guru maintaining about 220 at the top of the butts and using a small amount of sand in the pan.

Looks like I better get an early start and rest in the cooler to avoid any problems. Nearly 20hrs on the pork is a long time. But I usually cook 6-7 lb Butts and it probably averages 14hrs. Do you rotate the Brisket during the cook? Last time I did the BOB I just left the Brisket fat side up and didn't notice much of a difference.

I don't rotate the brisket. I like minimal fussing. I cook fatside down the whole time to protect the meat from the heat. And with a BOB the the butt will drip onto the meat of the brisket, not the fatcap.

Timing can be a hard thing to figure. I tend to err on the side of caution and give myself lots of time figuring I can hold rather than speed up more easily. My last BOB was 7.5-lb butts and a 12 lb brisket. They finished about 2 hours apart, the brisket first. Total time was 18 hours. The one I did before that was 21 hours. I had a rain/wind issue mid-flow.

Thanks Kevin. I don't know why I didn't consider fat side down before on my BOB cooks. Seems like it would impart more flavor and keep the meat moister than fat side up. I'm flip flopping on Mr. Brown vs. sweeter rub with AJ spray. If I use the mop with Mr. Brown alot of the mop will land on the Brisket. While my Brisket is always very good I still don't think it is up to par with our KC BBQ joints. Maybe Brisket is best suited for log burners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I still don't think it is up to par with our KC BBQ joints. Maybe Brisket is best suited for log burners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think it's the cooker. I think it's the meat and developing an approach that works for you and your cooker. It's a lot of trial an error (fun stuff though), and tweaking, and knowing your cooker which, of course comes from the trial and error. I have no doubt that you can produce brisket on your WSM that you would feel rivaled--or bested(!)--brisket from a logburner or a commercial joint.

Chris,

Don't let Keri C hear you say that briskets are better for log burners. Really, some really awesome brisket can be turned out.

I realize this is a BOB string, but the couple times I tried doing butts over briskets, I was less than satisfied with the results. I think I prefer to keep them seperated as much as possible. Just me though. Plus you won't be able to do that.

What kind of smoke wood are you using?

The only thing I could have said worse than log burner was "foil". But I don't use that either. I plan on using 4 Oak chunks and 2 Apple chunks.Believe me I bleed Weber. I have 3 WSM's, 3 22" Kettles, 1 18", 1 smokey Joe, and one small weber portable gas grill.When I see a weber at an estate sale I just have to buy it. 2 of the WSM's I paid $15 dollars each. Now I just need a reason to fire all the WSM's up at once.

I wish!

If I had a second WSM I'd so the brisket and butts separately. Like Joe, while I'm not quite sure I'd say 'less than satisfied', I'd definitely agree with his preference for cooking them separately. Man, I'd love to run into a $15 WSM. You is lucky!

I have the word out to EVERYONE in the friends/family ring to look out for WSM's at yard sales. I would like to get 2 more. I would love to make it to the Comp in New Holland near me, but work may conflict with that.
My Dad always "stumbles" onto those Yard sale deals, but I guess when you go to all the ones he does, your chances are pretty good.

Thanks for all your help. I will do the Brisket on a Midnight cook starting tonight and will foodsave them and do the Butts at the lake for a Sat. night cook. I used to be in outside sales and had the ability to check on estate sales and that is how I found all the extra WSM's and grills. To my wifes embarresment I even pulled a weber one touch gold out of a neighbors Monday morning trash. It was approx. one year old and one of the legs had came out of the support and got bent. Slapped it on the vise and it was good as new. That shiney weber is on the deck and the older units went under the deck. Amazing what people throw away.

Back