Standing Rib Roast

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done three or four now, and have learned a couple of things: Go fairly light on the smoke, using a mild wood. I used cherry one time, and thought it too strong--a modest amount of oak or mesquite have yielded much better results in my opinion. Place it on the cooker bone-side down; be sure to leave a fat cap on the top. Go for 250 degrees smoker temp, and cook until internal temp is about 120-130 for medium rare, depending which side of the spectrum you want. The internal temp will rise 5 - 7 degrees after you take it off. Let it sit for at least 30 mins covered with foil before slicing into it. Most people use at least a kosher salt & cracked pepper rub. I like to make an herb paste of fresh pressed garlic, cracked pepper, rosemary, and kosher salt, by putting those ingredients in a small bowl and then adding enough olive oil to help mash the rub together into a paste, which is then rubbed on the meat. Good stuff! I have some left over in the fridge from a cook I did on Sunday.

Rib Roast is a high quality cut of meat and will not necessarily benefit from cooking at low and slow temperatures. I'd stick to the 350 range for cooking. As for smoke like Tyler said, definately lighter would be better, but unlike Tyler, I find cherry to be lighter tasting than oak and mesquite.

I havn't actually done a rib roast on an outdoor cooker (WSM or Kettle) but I have done them in the oven with great results at 350. When I do one, I'd probably use the kettle because I find it easier to cook with in the 350 degree range.

I first had to make this after having it at the Weber grilll in Lombard Ill. I had read the recepie in the weber big book of grilling "Garlic and herb crusted slow smoked Prime Rib" pg 131 but after tasting it knew it would be one of my faavorite cooks.

The Worchestshire/Montreal rub recipie on the lets cook page of this site is the way I made it in the WSM this past Sunday. Thats a very simple but richly flavored version of it. Absoloutely fantastic.

I am out of hickory and hd some mesquite on hand so I used a couple chunks of mesquite (nervously because that can get harsh quick)and a couple smaller peices of wild cherry. Great flavor not over powered at all by the wood.

I've done them in the kettle most of the time and this time did it in the WSM. I averaged 315 throuhout the cook (was targeting for 350)but wasnt concerned because the weber cookbook says target for 275 @ 300

Its almost foolproof as long as you dont overcook it!! I pulled it off at 127 and let it sit for 20-25 min before slicing.

I dont think you can go wrong with either of these. Just pick out a nice roast from the shoulder side of the Prime rib thats grded choice or better with nice marbling!!!

I did some searching and I'm gonna try out the "Kevi's King of the Roasts" recipe in the following thread:

Beef Rib Roast - Prime Rib

As I don't have a WSM yet (getting one this summer along with a Guru), I'll be doing this on my Aussie Grill.

Thanks for all the advice!

I've done two of these on my WSM and love them. In fact, I'm cooking a rib roast for my mom and grandma (and other sundry family) this Mother's day. I'm a damned good kid. But I digress.

I agree with most of what Tyler said. But, I'd cook it at 350 degrees. I also use the simple Montreal Steak rub that Chris has posted on this site. It's simply amazing, and very simple to make. I pull the roast when it hits 120-125 and let it rest before carving, like the others have said.

Combine this with a BBQ Guru and it's truly one of the most simple cooks on the WSM possible :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back