Standing Rib Roast with Pics

Sean Ruff

TVWBB Member
Smoked my first standing rib roast and thanks to all of the great information on this site it turned out fantastic!

I seared the 7.68 pound roast on each side in a pan with a little bit of canola oil. After applying salt and pepper, I used the following rub posted by Kevin Kruger.

1 T granulated garlic
1T crushed green peppercorns
2t granulated onion
2t dried marjoram
1/2t ground bay leaves
1/2t ground celery seed
1/4t ground ginger
1/8t ground clove

Rather than a high heat/shorter cook I opted for 250 degrees. I smoked with a mixture of oak and cherry and pulled at 115 and placed in a 500 degree preheated oven to form a crust. I pulled it from the oven at 125 and let the roast rest for thirty minutes. The final internal temperature was 134 - 137.

My question is whether the high heat portion of the cook to form a crust is necessary. Does anybody else do this another way? There are a few other posts that mention this procedure but there has been very little discussion about the procedure itself.

Thanks again for all of the great information!

That looks great Sean!! You makin' me hongry!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Sean, the roast looks great.

To answer your question: Some form of high heat phase is necessary for browning if the plan is to low/slow. Some simply sear in a little oil at the outset and leave it at that; others--especially if applying a rub after searing--choose some time at high heat either at the outset or end of the cook. Some don't sear at all but instead start the cook at ~400 for 20-30 min then reduce the temp to ~200; others go ~30 min at 500 then shut the oven off and let the roast cook in the falling temps till done. Yet others cook start to finish in the 325-350 range without searing nor a high heat phase and are pleased with the browning that occurs at this range.

It's one of those personal preference things and has much to do with how brown or how actually 'crusty' one wants.

I think it looks great! Now if I made one that looked like that, my Wife would want me to put it back on to finish it lol. I would have to slice a section off and sear it on the grill for her. Medium is all the further on the pink scale she is willing to go to.

Joseph C.....I was at Costco looking at them the other day, and they wanted $8.99/lb if I remember right.

I just decided what my next cook should be. Man that looks good but from what I read is a lot more work than just slapping in the smoker.

Joseph - the roast was on sale for 4.99 per pound at Safeway. Couldn't pass it up at a price like that.

Bob - Yes, we like beef on the medium rare side. Truth be told my wife likes it a little more rare than I can stand. If I had prepared this roast for guests I would have definately gone with a higher heat cook for a bit more gradation in doneness levels.

Bruce - Actually, and this is just my opinion, I thought the standing rib roast was a pretty easy cook (once you get past how much it cost anyway!). You should really should try one and you can't go wrong if you use the collective wisdom on this site. After one or two more standing rib roasts I would like to try my hand at a prime graded roast.

As Sean said, I find that the rib roast is about the easiest food I cook on the WSM. I sear all sides, then just "slap it in the smoker" at 325 until done.

Sean, at $4.99, I'd have filled up a cart lol.
I don't think I have ever had beef served so rare that I had to send it back.
I haven't done a rib roast in a while, but looking at what you posted....I'm on the lookout for a price drop so I can get one!

I've been cooking my rib roast on my kettle rather than my WSM. The past couple I did were at about 325-350 indirect heat with a few chunks of mesquite. They turned out quite nicely.

The next time Randalls (Safeway) has them at $4.99/lb, I promise to try it low and slow on the WSM. The Rancher's Reserve cut they sell at that price isn't too bad when it comes to rib roast. You just have to look at the marbling since RR stuff is mostly high-grade select and low-grade choice stuff.

Sean,

Looks great. Considering doing this myself--a major confidence builder. At almost 8lbs, how long did you keep it on the WSM and to what external temperature? As a fan of rib roast did the distinct flavor of the smoke come through.

Thanks,

Mike

I made my first standing rib roast a month or so ago, however I didn't smoke mine.

If anyone has seen Good Eats recent episode where AB dry ages a large 4 bone prime rib roast for about 2-3 days in the fridge. I tried it and it was very good. Probably would be ten times better if I started it out on the smoker like your recipe. I will look for a good deal on the meat and give it a try

This looks awesome!

Question, with such a thick piece of meat and relatively short cook, how much smoke flavor is in the meat? Mainly the outer edges?

Mike - I planned on thirty minutes per pound and if I remember correctly (for some reason I left this blank in my log) it took about 3 hours before I pulled it at 115 to go into the 500 degree oven to form a crust.

Mike and Jim - While the smoke flavor did not penetrate to the middle of the roast, the outside portion and directly underneath had a fantastic smokey taste. Once plated and allowed to mix with some of the jucies from the outside of the roast the interior portions also picked up this flavor.

Back