Standing rib roast with hickory....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Rine

TVWBB Member
I am oding a standing rib roast today and the only smoke wood I have available is hickory. I am thinking that I'll either only use one fist sized piece, or use none at all. Which would be the better option? I don't want to ruin the meat with too much (or too strong) smoke.

Andy you have the right idea by starting off with one piece. It depends on what you are looking for, if you like more of a smokey flavor throw in another chunk or two. If you don't like alot of smoke stick with the one chunk and determine how much to use the next time you do a rib roast. IMO, you would be safe w/ 2 or 3 chunks of hickory. The only wood I use is hickory, I use it on beef, chicken, ribs, turkey and even on salmon. I adjust the amount of wood to what I am cooking and how long it will take to cook. Sometimes several big chunks, other times one very small piece.

My two cents: If you're using Kingsford, use one chunk. If you're using a high-quality lump that has some flavor of its own you could skip the hickory entirely, though if it were me, I'd go with one chunk anyway, albeit smaller.

I'm with Kevin. For a wood as strong as hickory, I'd go with much smaller than fist sized (and my fists are prolly smaller than yours to begin with...!).

I've never experienced the joy of lump, so I had no idea it could impart its own unique flavor. (Shoot, now I want to try some.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
I've never experienced the joy of lump, so I had no idea it could impart its own unique flavor. (Shoot, now I want to try some.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of the better quality does, like Ozark and Hump, among others. Cowboy, often available at Joe's, does not.

Thanks, Kevin. I was just perusing that lump comparison site http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm and I see they like Ozark quite a bit. I should have thought ahead and gotten lump for winter grilling purposes. Can't believe how I'm cruising thru my big stash of Kingsford as it is, and I've hardly been grilling or smoking..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back