Standing rib roast recipe

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I was looking at the recipe for the Montreal rib roast and was wondering if anybody here has tried it. I love that seasoning but have never cooked expensive meat like that in a smoker and don't want to screw it up, especially if I choose to make it for Christmas.

Any experience's or advice?

Though these roasts can be expensive to purchase they are easy to cook. Don't let the cost intimidate you.

Probably the two most common screw-ups when cooking rib roasts: cooking to too high an internal temp (you must pull the roast for resting 5-10 degrees shy of your target internal), and, if using smokewood, using too much.

Chuck,

There is a post at the Get Your Grill On website by Curt McAdams about cooking standing rib roasts. I think it is worth checking out.

Jim

I did the herb prime rib once for New Year's. Took it out at an internal temp of 135F and let it rest. It was much too rare for most of my guests. Center was just warm, but not really cooked. Most guests put their plates in the microwave an nuked 'em a bit to get it to their liking.

I have yet to do another, but when I do I think I'll take it up to 140F and see how that turns out.

Whoa John,

Round these parts, an internal temperature of 135F is called burnt.
icon_biggrin.gif
Have you calibrated that thermometer?

Jim

Though McAdams is incorrect with terminology (a 'boned' roast is one without bones, not one with and the term 'prime rib' has nothing to do with the cut--the 3-rib end is called a 'first cut' not a prime cut) he's right that cooking at a lower temp will give you a more even level of doneness (expect a bit less of a post-cook rise).

It's hard to recommend a salt crust though, unless one has a particular aversion to nicely caramelized meat. Though I wouldn't even think of doing a salt-only rub myself, if that's one's preference skip the crust routine and allow the roast exterior to caramelize and develop flavor.

At least, John, if you undercook you can easily fix the problem. If overcooked you can't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff:
Chuck,

There is a post at the Get Your Grill On website by Curt McAdams about cooking standing rib roasts. I think it is worth checking out.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
curt'ss article is informative but recommends cooking at a lower temp than i recommend. i prefer cooking in the 300 - 350 range so that i get meat that is a variety of doneness and satisifys a wider range of palets.

to cook a standing rib roast i season liberally with dizzy pig's raising the steaks and then sear each side over direct heat for a few minutes (how long depends on how high your heat is). then reassemble the wsm and cook wfo until internal temp hits 135. finally let the roast rest for 10 - 30 minutes.

to carve run you knife parrallel to the bones to to remove and the slice like a normal roast. you can also cut slices with the bones still on but to me it's a pain in the butt.

enjoy.

Yes, I checked it right after that happened and it was accurate. So that just tells me I've got to get out and cook a few more of these beasts and get it all figured out.
icon_wink.gif
Good time of the year for it too.

Too true, Kevin, too true.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Though McAdams is incorrect with terminology (a 'boned' roast is one without bones, not one with and the term 'prime rib' has nothing to do with the cut--the 3-rib end is called a 'first cut' not a prime cut) he's right that cooking at a lower temp will give you a more even level of doneness (expect a bit less of a post-cook rise).

It's hard to recommend a salt crust though, unless one has a particular aversion to nicely caramelized meat. Though I wouldn't even think of doing a salt-only rub myself, if that's one's preference skip the crust routine and allow the roast exterior to caramelize and develop flavor.

At least, John, if you undercook you can easily fix the problem. If overcooked you can't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin - I think Curt meant that he had the bones removed and tied back on. I don't understand the advantage of that. Cutting off the bones after cooking is not rocket science.

I was impressed with the evenness of the beef's doneness. Will I get that by cooking at low temps without the salt?

All - I've suggested to the Get Your Grill On editor that he add Kevin as a contributor. I think he'd be a great addition.

Jim

Jim--

Yes, cooking at a low temp will give you a much more even level of doneness from edge to edge. This is what many restaurants do with rib roasts and what commercial processors of deli meats do for roast beef, which is why deli beef is, usually, med-rare almost to the edge.

A salt crust, being fairly thick, extends the edge of the roast. Thus, cooking a salt-crusted roast at low temps allows for even doneness up to and virtually through the meat's edges as the salt acts as a 'new' edge. But the salt crust dries and browns, not the meat, so the flavors that might have developed if the meat was seared or allowed to brown during cooking aren't there.

Back