Stainless Steel Grates Or Grillgrates For My Genesis 1000 -- Your Thoughts

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
:redgenesis1: Need to decide what grates to use for my now restored Genesis 1000. I am thinking of the Stainless Steel grates from rcplanebuyer on EBay or the Grillgrates product. Price is similar so just not sure. Any thoughts are welcome. Anyone have both and why?
TIA

Hi Bob, I have a genesis S-330 and find that I cook both direct and indirect so with that in mind I have two panels of Grill Grates for direct cooking and one side of ss grate for indirect cooking. For my Genesis that combination fits ok however, I have no idea how that combination would fit on a Genesis 1000. As for the why, I love the flavor I get from the juices vaporizing in the valley's of the Grill Grates and than that Smokey goodness being reabsorbed into my food and I get nice sear marks on my steaks, chops, chicken and whatever.
Good luck with your decision.

Bill

GrillGrates do nothing more than make your grill into an imitation Charbroil. Ever wonder why professional chefs always sear foods in either stainless steel or cast iron never aluminum? Simple, it actually helps the mallard reaction. I don't profess to be a pro but I do use bare anodized heavy gauge aluminum cookware (note not talking about made in China junk BTW here but VERY expensive made in USA stuff) plus I also use quite extensively cast iron and heavy tri-ply stainless. Aluminum will NOT brown things so I do not use it for that process. However I can easily sear and brown in the CI and SS cookware. A good set of heavy CI grates or heavy SS rod grates (i.e. like the kind RCPlanebuyer makes) will be the best tools you can invest in for your grill period.

don't forget Porcelain Cast Iron:

11084308_10204046980436720_2852680310627293080_n.jpg

Hi Bob, I have and older Genesis Gold C with the original SS grates still in good shape and I use 3 GrillGrates on one side as Bill W does. They work very well for me
and they are placed on top of the factory SS grate. I would buy them again. They most definitely have NOT turned my Weber into an imitation Charbroil as LMicheals believes.
He obviously has not tried them.

All things considered it sounds like I will go with both, the heavy stainless from rcplanebuyer on ebay and the GrillGrates. Stainless will be first.
Thanks all for the wonderful advice.

Check out the pictures of meat seared when you flip the aluminum GrillGrates. I have used my GrillGrates this way on steaks and chops and get a heck of a brown sear.

:redgenesis1: Need to decide what grates to use for my now restored Genesis 1000. I am thinking of the Stainless Steel grates from rcplanebuyer on EBay or the Grillgrates product. Price is similar so just not sure. Any thoughts are welcome. Anyone have both and why?
TIA

I have been torn between the two as well. Actually I am torn on the price of either of them. I'm cheap, which is one of the reasons why I went down the used/rehab route to begin with. Plus I am not in the mood to hear the Hubbs gripe that the rehab is costing close to buying a new grill. After pricing out what all I will need to replace, I decided to go with the enameled grates for now since my budget it a bit tight and put the SS grates from rcplanebuyer on my Christmas list. This summer I will add some Grill Grates and see how I like them. I like that you can use then on top of the existing grates.

I would love to know what you end up going with and how you like it!

Jayde

Grillgrates are a good product, although I'm not really sold on them over a good heavy stainless grate. Yes they make great sear marks but a lot of that is really aesthetic. I know anodized aluminum is safe to cook on but I still have some hesitations about it.

If you check bbqgrillparts.com they make a 304 thick stainless grate that is slightly thinner than the rcplanebuyer grate but still much thicker than any factory grate I've seen.

The other thing to look at on those grates from bbqgrillparts is the spacing of the bars. The stock rod type on the newer Weber products are a huge disappointment because they're so far apart you can easily fit a finger between them. I could see food just dropping through. The ones from RC are very tightly spaced which makes cooking on them and moving food on them much more pleasant and aesthetically pleasing

Grillgrates are a good product, although I'm not really sold on them over a good heavy stainless grate. Yes they make great sear marks but a lot of that is really aesthetic. I know anodized aluminum is safe to cook on but I still have some hesitations about it.

If you check bbqgrillparts.com they make a 304 thick stainless grate that is slightly thinner than the rcplanebuyer grate but still much thicker than any factory grate I've seen.

Jacob, I just looked at bbqgrillparts.com and it goes to a Go Daddy landing page. Do you have a direct link to the grates? Thanks!

-Jayde

The other thing to look at on those grates from bbqgrillparts is the spacing of the bars. The stock rod type on the newer Weber products are a huge disappointment because they're so far apart you can easily fit a finger between them. I could see food just dropping through. The ones from RC are very tightly spaced which makes cooking on them and moving food on them much more pleasant and aesthetically pleasing

Very true. I actually counted the number of bars in their picture (link in the post above) and it was 1 less than rcplanebuyer.

Then I ordered them and counted in person, and it turned out to be the same number of bars.

One thing I wasn't quite so happy with was the bbqparts.com flavorizer bars, they're thick stainless but probably 440 since they do get surface rust. But the grates are solid and highly recommended. The edges are all finished perfectly, no weld marks or other imperfections - and they're significantly cheaper than rcplane, especially after factoring in shipping.

Last edited:
First let me say I am 71 years of age and been grilling and smoking all of my adult life. Like some on here I really had doubts about GrillGrates,but after reading lots of reviews I gave in and bought a set of three . They are American made and the best grilling accessory I have bought in a long time. They are quality all the way and flareups are a thing of the past. Unlike the Charbroil infrared grates, GriilGrates are easy to clean and lot better quality . If someone stole mine I would order a new set tomorrow. If you aren't satisfied in 30 days just send them back ,new or used and they will refund your money. ....which I know won't happen.

Using GrillGrates upside down...
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?576...Quick-Sausage-sammiches&highlight=grillgrates

http://www.grillgrate.com/

Last edited:
I just picked up grates for my rehab. I found a brand new set of the porcelain coated cast iron grates on CL for $35. It's part# 9888 and looks like it's been discontinued. They are much more substantial than the ones I was saw at Home Depot.

Jayde

Sounds like a good deal. I think I am going to go ahead and order the stainless steal from rcplanebuyer on ebay even though they are rather expensive. I did get a new in box but discontinued Weber rotisserie for my Genesis for $35.00.

Back