Stainless Steel cooking grate

I've used 3 of the Weber cooking grates. The std. steel, coated; SS and PCI. The SS do clean well because you can use a steel brush and don't have to worry about chiping. My preference grate is the PCI. Wonderful heat retention and beautiful sear marks.

I would not be concerned about maintaining a shiney finish on the SS grates.

JMO, but I really don't care for the grills with SS hoods, etc. However that is the current fashion, especially for the higher end units.

Paul

When I’m done cooking I turn all burners on high while the grill is still hot and burn what I can off. That knocks down most of it except for the edges in the font, rear and sides so I rotate the grates to minimize the effect.

I do this usually while the food is resting after coming of the grill anyway. I also set a timer so I don’t forget.

Overall it cleans up better than any grill I’ve ever owned in the past.

I’ve got some carbon on the inside hood I need to attack one of these days when I figure out the best course of action short of a sand blaster.

But in any case I do love this stainless steel (SS).

Wayne

Weber recommends not cleaning the grates at all after cooking.

I have the stainless steel grates. I only knock off any large stuck-on pieces (rarely any) after cooking. I don't brush at all, just turn off the grill.

Your grates will burn off when you preheat the grill and you save fuel too, by this method. I've never had to do more than just go over the grates lightly before cooking.

Rita

If you really want to get the stainless grates clean, and dont want to use and abrasive cleaning stone, a pressure
washer works very well if you or a neighbor happen to have one.

It’s nice to see this post! My grates are stainless, gray/black from cooking and food never sticks to the them. The flavorizer bars on my Gold B tend to flame up and I was wondering what I could use for cleaning; short of sand blasting. The GrillStone sounds like it might get them clean. As for the grates, I like them the way they are.

Val

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
If you have a self cleaning oven, you can put them in on that cycle. It works wonders for cast iron. I don't know if they will possibly fit, but you can try it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You put cast iron into a self cleaning oven?
icon_eek.gif
That will burn all of the seasoning off the cast iron and you have to start all over with it. Why do you do that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by V. Roberts:
It’s nice to see this post! My grates are stainless, gray/black from cooking and food never sticks to the them. The flavorizer bars on my Gold B tend to flame up and I was wondering what I could use for cleaning; short of sand blasting. The GrillStone sounds like it might get them clean. As for the grates, I like them the way they are.

Val </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

V.Roberts - I also have the Gold B and I have experienced the same problems with the SS flavorizer bars flaming up. My suggestions is the rotate your bars every other cook and that should help. If not, just clean the bars with warm soap and water....

Don't know why others are saying Weber says to do nothing with the grates when their website says:

Clean the Cooking Grates

Preheating the grill and burning off residue by turning the grill on "high" will turn any accumulated debris to ashes. Brush the grates off with a brass grill brush.

I prefer to use the Grill Wizard as it seems to do a better job, is gentle on the grates and the pads last a long, long time with inexpensive replacements. When the brass brush wears out you have to toss it.

Biff

This is what we are saying...since you have to preheat the grill anyway, the PREHEAT will burn off the debris and grease and you can use a brush at that time if you need to. The original question was about cleaning/burning off the grates AFTER cooking, which is not necessary with this process, thus saving 10 or 15 minutes' worth of fuel. Others have suggested here or on another thread that the the grease remaining on the grates until preheating for the next cook will help preserve the grates while the grill is sitting out in the dampness and weather.

I like the Grill Wizard too, for the same reasons.

Rita

This is an old thread but I'm new here.

Tie them to the back of your riding lawn mower. Cut your grass. When you're finished, TWALA! Killed two birds with one stone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
I think Weber recommends that you shut down your grill when you are finished cooking and without cleaning it at that point. Sometimes I just give it a light brushing to knock off any largeish pieces of food. The greasy coating will protect it until you're ready to cook again. My theory is that during the cool-down, the grease on the grates might start to form sort of a nonstick coating, much like a cast-iron skillet. Then, when you're ready to cook, preheat the grill on high for 15 minutes. Only then do you scrub the grates.

I've had SS grates on my gasser for 2 or 3 years now and they usually come perfectly clean (not shiny, though) using this process.

As you all know, the trick is to oil your food, not the grill, before placing the food on the grill and not moving the food until it has a pretty decent sear. It will release when it is ready to be released.

I haven't tried the cast iron grates yet, but I really like my stainless ones. Wish there was a Rent-A-Grate around here so I could play with the cast iron grates a little.

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Rita says. It's possible to be to "clean crazy". I was on wire racks. Never was on cast iron. Treat them the same. Right after the cook while they are still hot wire brush them until all the cooking material is off. Use leather gloves to keep from burning your self. Then wipe with oil and let them cool down that way. You'll get a seasoning or coating of hardened oil which will help protect them from rusting. By over cleaning wire grates you keep them "sticky". You need a seasoning or baked on residue to help them become non-stick.

I'm with Bryan - I don't think you have stainless steel? If you actually do the grill stone is placing scratches in them and without any seasoning they will stick.

Anyway the key is to brush off while still warm/hot. If you still have clumps, crank up the heat and close the grill for about 20 minutes, wire brush, let them cool a little and then wipe with oil and let them cool down.

Making your wire racks shiny keeps them sticky.
At least that's been my experience.

Bottom line: Think CONDENSATION

Just like your windshield, moisture collects on the metal parts that are not dry. Inside a closed environment, moisture will collect as the temperature changes outside during the day. It makes no difference if you have a cover over it.

Don't leave grates in the grill. It's better to leave them out in the weather than to leave them in the enclosed grill.

I don't understand why people feel the need to clean their grates beyond some wire brushing (with a brass brush) after preheating for the next cook, whether a day or 3 weeks later. This has been my procedure for many years. I replace wire grates on the charcoal grills every 3-4 years, gas grill grates every 5-7 years. I live in New England and grill year-round.

Why do more than that? Your guests will not care about the shininess of your grates. (If they do, get new guests.)

I actually read on another forum someone who does not believe in high heat pre-heats. Says they're a waste of fuel, and they burn off "seasoning." Clarified to include non-bare cast iron as well. I thought he was crazy, but it kept on my mind.

I do notice after cooking something delicious and shutting it down right after, that when I open the hood a few days later to cook I see a nice sheen on my grates from the last cook. I then do the preheat and when I'm done, my grates are bone dry again.

So now I am on the seasoning route. I don't go above 300-400 on my preheat unless I'm cooking a steak (which I may go to coals anyway). Going to see if a seasoning develops even on SS grates. Last night I had chicken sliding around as if it was non-stick so lets see how this goes.

of course I still knock off the big bits, those are sticky.

Back