Stainless cabinet pulls for Genesis Silver B

JimMilton

TVWBB Member
The stainless steel cabinet pulls for my 16 year old Genesis Silver B have rust from the screws that held them in place. The holes and threads are full of rust, and one screw left part of its soul in the hole. I've used barkeeper's friend and 0000 steel wool. Now soaking in vinegar. I have some heavy duty rust remover. But thinking I'm going to need a very small wire brush to get into the threads and holes, and especially to remove the existential soul of the broken screw. Anyone ever gone through this? Suggestions welcome, even if they are to just buy new stainless cabinet pulls. TIA

Attachments

• PXL_20220716_160917245.jpg
    PXL_20220716_160917245.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 8
I've used evaporust a couple of times and it worked really well.

I've got a set of doors that came from a donor. It was a mongrel of two grills, but the doors and wheel looked like 2005 ish.

Was planning to make heat shields with the stainless. Pm me if you'd like the handles.

20220716_100103.jpg

Before you go too crazy, measure the center to center spacing and see what kind of pulls you can get in brand new. You might find something you like, perhaps not even similar or stainless. I like fun accessories like that.

You might have an issue with the screws that come with new cabinet pulls because the door is not as thick as a cabinet door.

If you recycle your old parts, you will probably want new screws.

A tool called a "tap" would be my first choice to clean the inside of the threads. Not sure of the size however.

I can't suggest how to get out the broken bits without more information or a picture.

I've used evaporust a couple of times and it worked really well.

I've got a set of doors that came from a donor. It was a mongrel of two grills, but the doors and wheel looked like 2005 ish.

Was planning to make heat shields with the stainless. Pm me if you'd like the handles.

View attachment 55338
Interested. Will measure mine and then send a PM.

Before you go too crazy, measure the center to center spacing and see what kind of pulls you can get in brand new. You might find something you like, perhaps not even similar or stainless. I like fun accessories like that.

You might have an issue with the screws that come with new cabinet pulls because the door is not as thick as a cabinet door.

A tool called a "tap" would be my first choice to clean the inside of the threads. Not sure of the size however.

I can't suggest how to get out the broken bits without more information or a picture.
The soul-less screws had some sort of silicon washer. Maybe designed (?) to prevent the rust and corrosion from using non-stainless screws.

5 inch on center

They are a very common size, and real stainless replacements are easy enough to find. I bought some on Amazon. The one I bought is no longer available but was a lot like this one:

View attachment 55382

Not the same design as the original, but I liked the look. You can probably pick up just one pair at Lowes, Home Depot, Menards or Ace.
I have the same ones on my 05 Summit Platinum D6, they match the grates, lol

Back