St. Patty's day is coming soon how about a nice

Bob,

That is how some people make their pastrami (just add coriander, pepper, and smoke).. I am not one of those people, but some people do it. Not what straight up corned beef would taste like, but I'm sure it would be good.

Josh

I've got one in my fridge to be smoked tomorrow. Corned beef is great in the smoker. I soak it in water over night or at least for a good 3-4 hours. Coat it in a good coriander/peppercorn blend (see the cooking section for it).

The thing I'd recommend when smoking it is to pay attention to what kind of meat they've used for corned beef... brisket flat, brisket point, round, etc. They all cook a bit differently. I had a brisket point that I only took to 165. It was way, way too tough. I'd take it up to just under normal brisket temps if I were doing a brisket cut (which is what I have now).

good luck - you'll love it.

Bob,

I know it would be good. Lately I've been getting the corned beef in a package at Sams Club rather than making it from an unadorned brisket. It is a choice cut of brisket and it is the flat portion. Works great on the WSM if you want to add smoke and make a pastrami, but another way to do it is on a gas grill. My Weber Genesis Silver B works great for this.

Here's how:

Sauce
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1 med. yellow onion, minced
1 TBS garlic, minced
1 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 C. ketchup
1 C. beef broth
1 pint beer/stout/etc.
3 TBS balsamic vinegar

Cook the onion, garlic, caraway 5 or 6 min. Add ketchup, broth, & bring to simmer. Add beer and balsamic. Simmer.

Sear the brisket on both sides and put it in a cast iron skillet. Add the sauce so that it fills the skillet 1/2 to 2/3. Grill over indirect low heat for 3 to four hours. Add more of the sauce if necessary.

This recipe is found in Weber's Big Book of Grilling, p. 123. It calls for a rub on the brisket but I have not done so when using the gasser and a packaged corned beef.

Either way you go, brisket, corned beef, pastrami on the WSM or Weber gasser is very good.

Richard

Back