St. Louis spares on the WSM

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey guy's I'm about to do 3 slabs of St.Loius cut spares on the WSM. Do I have to use a Rib Rack? I can fit the Ribs lying flat on the racks. If I don't need a rack, should I start out bone sized up or down? Also do I still mop at the same time? Thanks

You don't need a rack. Bone down. I don't ever mop ribs but if your recipe calls for that I'd say do it at the same time, the lack of rack won't make a difference.

Steve

Even though you can fit the slabs, you might want to consider cutting them in half and using the rack if they're long enough they extend to the edges of your cooking grates. Near the edge, you can get a higher heat which comes up around the edges of the waterpan. Perhaps by rotating the meat you could avoid some of this.

I do spares almost exclusively and you should be prepared for a 7 to 8 hr cook unless you decide to foil for an hour after 3.5 and then you'll be down to around 6 or so.

Have a great cook. Spares are wonderful - lots of meat and a better price than BB
icon_smile.gif

Paul

You can also-- without cutting-- roll and skewer them, which will let you cook all three conveniently on the top rack, without concern over temp differences between the cooking grates.

See Rolling Ribs.

Back