St Loius spare ribs

Steve P. (Timmee)

TVWBB Member
So, I just made up some spare ribs Wednesday, and I tried a few things differently from my previous attempt. For the first time, I trimmed the ribs St Louis style, I applied yellow mustard to help the rub stick to the ribs better, and I used Stubbs barbecue sauce instead of the Jack Daniels barbecue sauce I'd previously used.

Overall, things went well (with the exception of the ribs being a little overdone), and I think this is the method I'll be using the next time.

Anyways, enough talk, here's the pics (what we're all here for
icon_smile.gif
).

On the grill, before I put the temp probe into the meat:

scaled.php

2 hours in:

scaled.php

Just off the grill (it was pouring out when I took them off):

scaled.php

Plated, with corn and mashed potatoes:

scaled.php

A closeup of one of the ribs:

scaled.php

As always, comments and/or suggestions are welcome.

Those ribs don't look overdone to me. They look quite good, in fact.

I'd recommend scrapping the thermometer. It doesn't really give you any useful data. With ribs, there are so many visual and tactile clues to doneness, plus the read you get from a thermometer in a slab of ribs isn't terribly accurate, anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd recommend scrapping the thermometer. It doesn't really give you any useful data. With ribs, there are so many visual and tactile clues to doneness, plus the read you get from a thermometer in a slab of ribs isn't terribly accurate, anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Completely agree. Spares typically take me 4.5 - 5 hours total to be tender and done for me (no foil). I just use the toothpick test. Poke a toothpick between the ribs at nearly the 4 hr point. Test for tenderness. continue to test every 20-30 minutes until tender. That's it.

Back