SS Performer Restoration

Dave Mazz

TVWBB Super Fan
So yesterday while running some charcoal in my new Performer, I sat down and looked at my 2003 SS Performer sitting on the patio, all alone, and I began to contemplate doing a restore. Called Weber, and 30 minutes later, I was talking to a rep.

I was originally going to clean it up a bit, and set it out by the street with a sign that said FREE. But I just can't do that. Plan to tear it down, and:
  • Repaint the frame
  • Add stainless hardware
  • New wheels and casters
  • New One-Touch
  • New Hunter Green bowl (old one has some rust holes)
  • New ash can
  • New igniter
Will most likely keep it at least through the summer, and may look to sell it later this year or early next year.

If anyone has tips or tricks on doing a restore, I'd appreciate your comments.

I just gave my old one a face lift. You can download the manual for the grill after you've registered it. This will help with putting it all back together.

Most the bolts are 1/4-20 thread, very standard. Take the old bolts to Home Depot or Ace and match them up with new ones...it's really not that many bolts total.

If you need new end caps to plug the holes in the square tubing you can use these (it's same thing I used):
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00T3NC8NC/tvwb-20

If you need the new threaded inserts that go inside the lower tubing of the frame, that would be these:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07TK56RQZ/tvwb-20

I took mine totally apart. Used an angle grinder w/ cup brush to clean and rough up the existing black paint on the frame. You could use a 150 grit sandpaper if you don't have a grinder. Then cleaned it with a rag and Xylol. Let it dry, then used Rustoleum black paint, 2 coats. Use Gloss or Semi Gloss, just don't use a flat paint as they are less durable and will scratch easier IMO. If you have bad rust areas you should hit them with a rust encapsulator, lots of different brands out there. If you don't have bad rust then plain rustoleum will do the trick. I didn't use high heat paint, but that might be a good idea to do so.

I used Simple Green and 0000 Steelwool to clean my stainless steel parts.

The new bowl is going to cost you $100+, if you are dropping that kind of money, make sure you can get your money back when you go to sell it. If I bought a new bowl, then I'd probably keep it.

If you want to get a new handle for the lid, you can get a cool wood one on eBay, Jon showed me this:

There is not many parts to the Performers, I did all of that on a Saturday while I was watching my 2 and 4 year old (mostly during nap time)....so it's not hard at all.

Oh, and as Dave suggested, on the badge (Weber logo) clean it up really good and paint the grill part red. Looks very cool. See my thread about my Crimson grill for his pictures.

Back