SS Performer Gas Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
As some of you know, I picked up a SS Performer a little while ago. I finally got around to filling the tank yesterday.

Now for my silliness. I don't know how to connect the regulator to the tank.

The tank appears to have an extension on it. It does not seem like there is any way for the regulator to screw into it.

The threaded end is much smaller than the piece on the tank. Do I pop off that black piece from the regulator? It doesn't look as though it is designed to.

Perhaps that extended piece on the tank is to come out?

Yeah, I'm an idiot with stuff like this. Any help would be appreciated.

3774161224_7ae2433070.jpg

3773355455_b7b87079cf.jpg

3773355561_f792953f57.jpg

You've got a quick coupler. The nipple on the reg snaps in the fitting. Does the outter fitting have an opening? If it does, the outter ring on it will pull back, so you can insert the male fitting into it. It will snap back forward and hold it in. Or, you may have to push the ring back.

If that piece does not have the opening, the ring on the first piece on the valve will have the snap ring, too. Pull it back and the other piece will pop out of it. Then, you can insert the male fitting in the same manner.

It is a quick coupler assembly.

Thank you, Howard.

D'oh! I am not mechanical at all. I had to remove the piece. Once I did, the regulator fit perfectly. Unfortunately, it appears the igniter ise dead. It looks to be in good shape, but it doesn't light. Gas flows as I was able to light it with my lighter.

have you tried cleaning the burner tube? take the retaining clip off and remove the regulator. look down the tube and have someone press the ignitor. if you can see a spark you're ok you just have insects/junk in the burner tube.
take a skewer and stick it through the burner tube. i had alot of junk in mine. they made a tool for this but mine didnt come with it.you can use a coat hanger just be careful not to snag the wires in the tube.
once i cleaned the burner tube mine lights great.a new burner tube and igniter is $20. the ignitor alone is $10 but you'd have to remove it from the old tube. mine was really rusted. i was going to get both assemblies to avoid that step

When I got my first P in 2003, the igniter worked for a few months, then stopped working. I just used a lighter for a while, then in spring 2004, did my spring cleaning, removed and polished the igniter wire connections. It has worked continuously ever since.

So, even though you may not be mechanical, try to remove one end of the wire connection at a time, clean with very fine steel wool or electrical contact cleaner, and reassemble.

Good luck!

My igniter has issues too. When I click it the first time after turning the gas on it will usually "pop" and then go out. After that it won't even try to start again so I use a lighter.

I will try cleaning it out like Tim C mentioned. I hope that solves it, but if not it's still no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back