Square peg, round hole

GavinH

TVWBB Member
Hi,

I need some advice. I have a genesis 1000 and have acquired a used rotisserie.

2 things;

The rod is obviously for a later weber. Is it advisable to create a bigger hole in the cookbox to accommodate it ?

20220330_171004.jpg

Also the bracket doesn't appear to fit snugly under the lip on the cookbox.

20220408_143353.jpg

20220330_170547.jpg

That is strange. It almost looks like there is a bushing on the spit where it should be fitting into the notch on the right side of the cook box. I would not cut that notch bigger. Even if you did, there would be nothing to keep the spit from pulling out of the motor. I would look for a roto that fit. The optimal solution would be to take the spit to a machine shop and it turned to put a notch in the spit to match the notch in the cook box. But I think it would just be easier to find a rotisserie that fit the grill.

Is it possible to cut the rod shorter at the motor end in order to clear that bushing?

It might work. Cut the rod about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, and then mill the square part down.

If you don't have a mill ( I mean, who has a mill except for Ed ) you could use a dremel to turn down the square part.

It would be a bit of work, but it might be do-able.

Is that a Weber rotisserie? I know mine, it’s maybe two years old, fits my ‘97 Genesis perfectly

What model rotisserie did you get ? Weber New Zealand have none that they say will fit

Yes, its a weber. ..I got it cheap used from an online auction

It looks a bit like this weber roto with the joint sleeve

Maybe that's why the bracket is not a proper fit

roto.JPG

I suppose you could widen the hole on the far/dead/non-driven side, but I have a few concerns.

1. As you go, verify that the motor mount positions the final drive from the motor on-axis and in-line with the spit. You want all the weight on the two sides of the grill and the motor simply able to turn. Your bracket picture shows the motor possibly canted a few degrees off axis from the spit in addition to any off-center issues. Not sure if this would be an actual operational concern.

2. The pictures suggest to me that the connector was added to make the spit adaptable for ease of shipping, other applications, etc. This suggests to me that this is budget, rather than a top-of-the line part.

3. Verify that the screw part won't unscrew in use based on the direction of the motor. I'm not sure if it attached permanently.

4. If you ever switch to a different diameter spit, you might need to fabricate some type of a bushing to restore the hole you hogged out back to its original size. Then again, it might still work fine.

I would suggest cutting 1/4" or so off the top of the bracket so it sits flush and widening the hole on the other side of the cookbox using a rotary tool that roughly matched the size of that section of the spit. The material removed from the grill is tiny and you would not really be affecting the function of the bracket either.

Good luck.

Well Gavin, here is my two cents worth.
#1 Since you need the joiner and have a round machined section to the right of it, slide the rod to the left until the round section drops in the notch on the fire box. Cut the left end of the rod off the right length to fit in the motor and then mark and grind the rod round where it passes through the firebox on the motor side. If you cut the end off you should shape it to a point to make it easier to skewer the meat.
Or.
#2 Get another roti made to fit your grill. All the round sections on the rod and the extra long length indicate to me that is a universal one meant to fit different models. Unfortunately your model is not one of them.

I don't think that is a Weber rotisserie. Could you make it work? Yeah..................maybe. Would still be far advisable to get an actual one for your grill

Look at it this way. You don't really have much to lose by trying it. If you screw up your bracket or motor or skewer, so be it - you would just need to replace them with the correct parts that you would have needed anyway. You might do a little work to save a little money.

I am not sure how much it would cost, but maybe the best solution would be to find someone to ship over a #9890 spit from the US.

That looks like some kind or "universal" rotisserie setup, especially since the bracket has two mounting positions. The first thing I would do is either cut the very top of the bracket off so it lays flush against the cookbox or put some washers under the bracket for the same reason, get the bracket installed better. The second thing I would do then is look for a replacement spit. Rotisserie cooking is measured in hours, and if you don't have a properly spinning spit you will burn motors out quickly, and likely ruin more than one cook. Maybe even damage the grill itself. I would not modify the grill at all, and in fact Bruce and Larry's suggestion to do what you can to obtain a part number 9890 is actually the best idea for this conundrum. Ideally a kit with motor, bracket, spit and forks, but in New Zealand I'm not sure what is available. Perhaps others can chime in with aftermarket options that fit the 1000, and maybe you can order something that fits correctly. I just feel like you may go through a lot of effort only to eventually end up just getting the correct setup anyway.

Back