Spring -- YES! Whats Cooking?

Vernon N

TVWBB Pro
What a beautiful spring day! THe sun is shining and the sky is clear (after 3 days of cold & rain). Think I will mow the grass this afternoon.

Put a couple of packers on, 10-11 lbs each, last night at 11:00. Using Raichlen's Lemonade Rub with heavy spicing and a lot of Tone's Southwest Chipotle Seasoning. Meat is stuck at 165 and 167 (imagine that little difference between the top and bottom meats) and the Guru is humming along at 220.

Will probably pull and foil between 2 and 5 at an internal of 180 to 190, depending on the forking.

Got some family visiting, but hope to have at least a couple of pounds of leftovers for next week.

Greg, yes I have used the rub before but I have never used it straight out of the book. I think that the first time I used it I changed columns in the recipe and the recipe changed from tablespoons to teaspoons but I did not notice. The rub was good. Since then I have added the southwest chipotle seasoning, cayenne and chipotle chili powder and deleted the celery seed.

Nope, it's the last day of winter! Spring begins tomorrow at 7:34 a.m.

Don't forget to stand an egg up on end (a spring ritual for me...!)

40 here and raining.
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Hey Vernon, which one of his books did the lemonade rub come out of? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sauces, Rubs and Marinades

One is at 186 and the other is at 177. Fixing to fork test. Smell is driving me hungry!

Susan

What do you mean it's not spring until tomorrow? I thought spring started at the equinox which was yesterday. At least that's what the local news said last night. According to them, yesterday the length of the day was 5 seconds or so longer than the length of the night. And believe me, when you're just about thru with a long northern winter, that's something you pay attention to.

Griff

According to my GPS, at the current location (Charlotte) Sunrise 6:31 and Sunset 6:31 on 17 March. But, I do not care what the GPS says, today was a beautiful day, the grass needs mowing, the sun shined, and it was a beautiful day with a high in the 60's. Call it what you want, I will take it when I can get it!

And best of all, I am FULL of wonderful brisket! Hope everyone's Q was as enjoyable!

Sliced the other brisket and cleaned the fat. 10.5 lb brisket wound up as 4.5 lb in the freezer. 60% loss??? Boy was that a fat brisket.

Back