Spray bottles for basting

Wade G

TVWBB Fan
Any one know where I could get some cheap spray bottles to use for basting butts with apple juice? I'd like to pitch them after use, as cleaning out the straw can get tedious.

thanks

I buy the small 6 packs of apple juice in a box. I just put the straw in the box and squeeze the juice on the meat through the straw. This way you can just toss the box. Also you don't have to open a quart bottle of apple juice to just a cup of juice and end up having to drink the rest of the juice. There are other flavors of juice in a box. This way you can mix them up for different meats.

As stated above, WalMart, Target, etc.....

Look in the hairspray/shampoo/toothpaste section, they usually sell empty spray bottles there for a buck or two.

Tony,

Great idea! And if you recycle those boxes then you also aren't dumping more plastic into the landfills.

Wade, maybe you could consider using those red plastic ketchup bottles to squirt on some apple juice. Collapse the opening if you want to reduce the stream. That should be easy to keep clean and you're also not disposing of bottles every time also. I wish I had thought of that prior to now.
icon_biggrin.gif

At Home Depot-- here anyway-- in the cleaning supplies section they carry a multi-pack of three decent quality 24 oz. spray bottles for not much money. They're color coded red, blue, and green so you can use them for different purposes and not mix them up, and also come with a screw-on mini-funnel to make refilling easier.

I tried the juice box method, but prefer the more even coverage of the spray bottle. I don't spray to much on at one time either. Just enough to see it start to shine.
I use the ones from H.Depot also.
Plastic in the landfill? Shame on your trash company, it should all be going to the recycle center.
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to all. Very good ideas. And, yes, our trash service has a separate recycling service- -which is where any plastics go.

The apple juice boxes are an intriquing idea.

Back